Can't use WiFi adapter after updating kernel

Hi friends, so I updated my Kernel and no longer have access to update or use my wifi adapter. I can only use ethernet. If someone could give me guidance of what to do. I have been trying to figure it out but I keep messing things up...

Do you mean from 4.19.123 to 4.19.234 ?
Or from 4.19xx to 5.7xx ?

If the second case ..
Why ? And have you tried booting from a different (or the previous) kernel series?

Also this:

Thanks! I will work on improving my posts. I had Linux5.6.16-1 when I converted my windows laptop to linux. I just updated to Linux 5.7.0-3

Ah. 5.6 is hitting EOL (end of life) .. and 5.7 is rather new.
But with your 1050 Ti you probably want something 5.4 LTS (long term support) +
(which really only leaves you with 5.4 itself and the 2 mentioned above.. and experimental 5.8)

I guess the other questions would be around your hardware and driver and all that.

So would it be unwise to keep continuing on 5.7? should install and reboot to 5.4? I thought it was best to have to most up to date kernel for gaming. But I am brand new to linux so I probably am wrong.

This applies to newer hardware mainly. And also specific hardware. Also, NVIDIA uses proprietary drivers, so that isn't built into the kernel, unlike AMD drivers.

You can keep Kernel 5.7 installed on your computer to see if anything changes in the future, or move to Kernel 5.8 in the future. It's best to keep at least 2 different kernels installed in case something happens.

1 Like

sounds good! I have everything up and running except for how to get my wifi adapter working....

Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8822BE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac WiFi adapter driver: rtw_pci 
  v: N/A port: 5000 bus ID: 07:00.0 chip ID: 10ec:b822 
  Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet 
  vendor: Lenovo driver: r8169 v: kernel port: 3000 bus ID: 08:00.0 
  chip ID: 10ec:8168 

have you searched the forum for this? Here a couple of results

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by