Change default file manager in gnome.

How do I change default file manager in gnome to pcmanfm? It's thunar right now. Weird, it's not even nautilus.

So I googled and tried these things.

• I tried to open gnome settings and search for default application, and there are no file manager options.
  • I tried right click on a folder in nautilus and open with pcmanfm. It opened that one folder with pcmanfm but it's still using using thunar as default file manager.
  • I checked mimeapps.list but it's already said inode/directory=pcmanfm.desktop;exo-file-manager.desktop; and the default file manager is still thunar.
  • I tried to execute $xdg-mime query default inode/directory but it's said nemo.desktop

I don't know what's going on anymore.
What else I can try?

xdg-mime default pcmanfm.desktop inode/directory application/x-gnome-saved-search

so I did that then log out > login.
Still thunar. @.@

--
in another note, my default file manager is pcmanfm, so gnome and xfce follow different configuration hmm.....

Yes, and if you mix them up with the same user, then things will get even more complicated that you want.

1 Like

This is true.
If you run XFCE and install Gnome, you should create a new user to get a fresh /home with config files.
You can still import things you need using a timeshift backup simply manually copying them to your /home.

New info.
So I think, only browser using thunar, (now that I uninstalled xfce4 it's nautilus)
It only using nautilus/thunar when I open file directory with firefox and chromium.

But if I used other software, (in this case gdevelop and godot engine). They open the directory with PCmanfm.
I wonder if there are other apps that open file manager that I could test to see which file manager they will use.

now why are they using different config @.@
all of them are tested in gnome.

edit:
found this https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/exo/+bug/956255
I still need it for xfce4-screenshooter. gnome screenshooter not that good.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by