Chromium based browsers download images as .bin

Since the latest update, all Chromium based browsers think that all the images have the extension .bin and download them with that extension. I've tried jpg, png and gif images in Chrome, Vivaldi and Opera. In Firefox I don't have this problem. My inxi output is here

I'm not an expert, so I can only test to see if the issue is replicated on my machine.
Chromium: Version 59.0.3071.115 (Developer Build) (64-bit)
Xfce - Kernel: 4.12.2-1.

I installed the last batch of updates that showed up on Update Manager a day or so ago.
I just right clicked on an image and it showed to save as .jpg.

It saved with .jpg and opened up without any problems.

My primary browser is Chrome Version 59.0.3071.115 (Official Build) (64-bit) and I'm using KDE. But this happens with all Chromium based browsers. I can manually select the correct extension in the "Filter menu" and it works then. You can see this behaviour on these pictures.

I don't have the automatic file extension selection tickbox when I right click and save image as. What happens if you untick (uncheck) it?

1 Like

It is not only Chromium related... I had exactly the same issue since last update with KDE and Vivaldi browser.
I managed to solution this by opening the "save as" dialog, then I got a "Save file -Kdialog" window where at the bottom left the option "Automatically select filename extension (bin)" was selected by default.
I unselected it and got rid of those "bin".

6 Likes

It works as it's supposed with that unchecked. Thank you guys very much :smiley:
I guess it's a kdialog bug that gets it checked by default.

You're welcome.

1 Like

Glad I could help. Keep an eye on it, though.

It's just another little KDE surprise to keep all the users on their toes.

Get used to it.

It won't go away.

Resistance is futile.

You will be assimilated.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by