Compton Memory Leak

Hi,

Coming back to my office with a 10d uptime on my computer, I noticed that Compton uses now 937 MiB memory... Seems a LOT!

Screenshot with details on my setup:

2018-12-31-094714_1920x1080_scrot

Anyone knows if there is problems with Compton lately?

EDIT: for the amount of memory have a look at the Conky display at upper right...

Please post text output as text. A full-screen image tells most people very little and is incredibly difficult to read.

For example, inxi -Fxxz provides very detailed system information and something like sudo ps_mem would provide a detailed breakdown of memory usage by process.

In this case, just because conky is reporting a process "using" a lot of RAM doesn't mean the memory is "lost" or "unrecoverable". For example, what sort of memory is in use? Is it resident? Is it shared? Is it cache? https://www.linuxatemyram.com/

Now - you might have found a memory leak in Compton, or it could be in your graphics driver, or it could be in the DE, or the toolkit, or the theme engine, or...

2 Likes

Agreed, logs please @charlesll.

Sorry, yes I should have put the output of ps_mem...

I rebooted my system so now it is pointless.

I will log the memory values each day for 10 days used by Compton, and report after this.

Best, C.

1 Like

To close this thread, after 20d of uptime, the problem did not repeat. So I guess this was a one time thing, no problem of memory leak to report here.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by