Configuring Optimus-Manager to work on startup

Hi all,
So recently I have taken the leap from Ubuntu MATE and other derivatives after a couple years on my main rig. It's a desktop replacement laptop that uses a hybrid GPU (NVIDIA-Intel) setup. So far, it works great! Only problem is that on startup, I have to run optimus-manager --switch nvidia, which logs me out again in order to set my display on my monitor. Needless to say, this wastes a lot of time.
One thing that I have come over reading some of the other posts, and was directed onto the optimus-manager GitHub page. On the GitHub page, there's a Usage section, where the relevant description reads:

You can also specify which GPU you want to be used by default when the system boots, by setting startup_mode in the [configuration file]optimus-manager.conf at /etc/optimus-manager/optimus-manager.conf .

So, I went and created the .conf file in the relevant directory, and set up this in the config:

# GPU mode to use at computer startup. Possible values: nvidia, intel, hybrid, >
# "auto" is a special mode that auto-detects if the computer is running on batt>
# and selects a proper GPU mode. See the other options below.
startup_mode=nvidia
# GPU mode to select when startup_mode=auto and the computer is running on batt>
# Possible values: nvidia, intel, hybrid
startup_auto_battery_mode=intel
# GPU mode to select when startup_mode=auto and the computer is running on exte>
# Possible values: nvidia, intel, hybrid
startup_auto_extpower_mode=nvidia
here

For some reason, when I restart my computer, I still have to run optimus-manager --switch nvidia, and I am scratching my head as to why. To my knowlege, I set it up to where the default is nvidia, the default when it is unplugged is intel, and the default when my laptop is plugged in is nvidia. Does anyone else have ideas or experience in this?

The github repo also contains a very useful wiki

Just in case you didn't know

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by