Connect to WiFi in Manjaro using Broadcom adapter.

Here's the output:

Model: "Broadcom BCM43142 802.11b/g/n"
Driver: "bcma-pci-bridge"
Driver Status: "bcma is active"
Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe bcma"

Disable MAC Address Randomization.

Enter this command in the terminal to automatically generate the required file:

echo -e "[device]\nwifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no" | sudo tee /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/disable-random-mac.conf

After creating the new conf file, reboot.

Upgrade to kernel 5.1 through Manjaro Settings Manager, then reboot.

Then follow these steps to hopefully improve your connectivity:

I am in a live media. So a reboot is going to flush out that file yes?

Yes it will. That is why I do not perform support for live installs. Be aware this is a very problematic adapter with manjaro. It has been starting to have a little better support lately.

My only suggestion for live media would be to:

sudo modprobe -r wl
sudo modprobe b43
sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager

Then should I install it offline then do your steps or use modprobe?

You can try the modprobe, but I find it doubtful the b43 driver will give you a stable connection on live media. The best chance to get it working is to install then follow the steps I posted.

I guess you could also try disabling the mac randomization on the live media then do the modprobes and restart NM. I guess it's possible that might work, (but a longshot).

Yeah modprobe doesn't work. I will install and report back.

I have a problem. After installing and running your command, it outputs :

> 

And never does anything. Also the output is stuck there. That is the command doesn't terminate. I can terminate the command myself though.

Never post only an output. I have no
idea which command you used for input.

Always post inputs and outputs.

Are these the commands you are referring to^^^

That was for testing on live media as I specified there. You can not properly install drivers in a live environment.

PS. in Linux commands that are successful often produce no output. Commands that are unsuccessful return an error.

These were the instructions I gave you earlier to follow on an installed system:

Then follow these steps to hopefully improve your connectivity:

Input:

echo -e "[device]\nwifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no" | sudo tee /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/disable-random-mac.conf

Output:

>

These were my instructions for an installed system.
Did you follow those instructions exactly?

There is no output because the command should have been successful.

Now run this command:

cat /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/disable-random-mac.conf

Post input/output.

Have you installed and tested out kernel 5.1 yet?

I am using 4.19 kernel. But the thing is after running the command I checked where the file should be created but it isn't there.

And about no output. Before running a command there's something like:

[ashahir05@ashahir05-pc] $ echo -e "[device]\nwifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no" | sudo tee /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/disable-random-mac.conf
>

Expected output:

[ashahir05@ashahir05-pc] $ echo -e "[device]\nwifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no" | sudo tee /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/disable-random-mac.conf
>
[ashahir05@ashahir05-pc] $

You are creating a root configuration file. You must either execute the command as root, or with sudo permissions.

The file is generated properly on my computer with that command using either su or sudo.

You can create the file manually yourself.

To disable MAC address randomization you must create (or edit) the following configuration file:

/etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/disable-random-mac.conf

Add the following lines to the conf file:

[device]
wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no

Save the changes and reboot your router and computer.

Another problem. After I remove the preinstalled dysfunctional driver there is no network available at all. Previously it showed the networks but didnt connect. Also I encountered some errors while installing broadcom-wl-dkms.
Input: (Installed from a local package in octopi)
Output:

Installing selected packages...

warning: database file for 'core' does not exist (use '-Sy' to download)
warning: database file for 'extra' does not exist (use '-Sy' to download)
warning: database file for 'community' does not exist (use '-Sy' to download)
warning: database file for 'multilib' does not exist (use '-Sy' to download)
loading packages...
warning: broadcom-wl-dkms-6.30.223.271-6 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
Packages (1) broadcom-wl-dkms-6.30.223.271-6
Total Installed Size: 7.68 MiB
Net Upgrade Size: 0.00 MiB
checking keys in keyring
checking package integrity
checking for file conflicts
checking available disk space

:: Running pre-transaction hooks...

Remove DKMS modules

:: Processing package changes...

(1/1) reinstalling broadcom-wl-dkms
To load the new module, run as root:
rmmod b43 b43legacy ssb bcm43xx brcm80211 brcmfmac brcmsmac bcma wl
modprobe wl
or just reboot the system.

:: Running post-transaction hooks...

Install DKMS modules
==> Unable to install module broadcom-wl/6.30.223.271 for kernel 4.19.49-1-MANJARO: Missing kernel modules tree.
==> Unable to install module broadcom-wl/6.30.223.271 for kernel 4.19.28-1-MANJARO: Missing kernel headers.
Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...

Command finished OK! 

Don't tell me to use internet on the manjaro system. I downloaded the local packages from a functional mirror in Windows.
Also I installed it multiple times to see if that error went away. Thats why it says reinstalling.

Did you do this^^^

I don't see the output confirming the file was created.

If you don't post the inputs and outputs then;
IT NEVER HAPPENED!!!

Have you done this^^^

Please post:

sudo mhwd-kernel -li 
dkms status
pacman -Q dkms
grep -r "blacklist\|install\|options"  /etc/modprobe.d/ /etc/modules-load.d/ /usr/lib/modprobe.d/ 
pacman -Qsq linux | grep linux | grep -v -E '(arch|util|sys|api|firmware|nvidia)'

Is kernel 5.1 necessary? And I haven't disabled mac address randomization.
Also if I install kernel 5.1 then should I install 5.1 headers after uninstalling the previous one?

You don't even have the headers installed for your current kernel. Did you not read the error messages telling you that the headers are not installed.

I don't waste peoples time asking to do things that are unnecessary. Everything I've asked you to do is necessary to get this adapter working.

The bcm43142 is a very difficult card to get working at all. If you do not follow the exact steps I have given you it is unlikely you will get this adapter working. Even following the proper steps often will not get satisfactory performance from this broadcom card. This adapter has the worst installation success rate of almost any adapter with Manjaro.

You have all the directions in my tutorial in great detail on what to do. If you choose to ignore my directions and will not post confirmations and outputs when requested that is your prerogative. My prerogative is to not waste my time with intransigent users who frustrate my every effort to help.

You are disregarding the procedures that I have laid out with painstaking details in my tutorial. You are not posting outputs or confirmations that I have requested when I ask for them. My patience is pretty exhausted already for working on this issue further.

Good luck getting your adapter working.

Okay first of all, I have done all the steps in your tutorials.

Second, I HAVE installed the headers for my kernel. Still I get that error. Thus I reported back.

Third, not everyone has a free life. I am a student and I have to study as well. I can't do this work 24/7. I am just asking you what to do beforehand so that I can work when I have time. That explains the "Not posting inputs/outputs" as soon as you tell me to.

It is still your choice wether you want to help me or not......

I will post the outputs a few hours later.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by