Data usage by Manjaro and some other small queries

Hello, my first topic :sweat_smile:

Before installing Manjaro, I just wanted to more about it's working and requirements. Here are the queries:

1. During general use (post installation) how much data does the os consume on a daily basis?
    I do not unlimited supply of data at home, that's why the question.

2. Where can I get some unofficial personal recommended lists of all usual and aur packages to have installed for better experience? And what will happen if I don't install the updates that come.

3. Regarding my laptop specs, it's an i3 - 2nd gen (8gb ram) and amd radeon graphics(don't know much about graphics) , what problems can it pose?

About me and why I want to use manjaro in brief:

• I am 17 yo and am very active in web development and competitive programming and plan to explore computer vision soon.
  • I've used windows so long and I'm very frugal when it comes to processes being run in the background. I don't want any processes to run and hog ram of apps / features I'm not currently using and windows sucks at that.
  • I fell in love with Manjaro from a YouTube video when looking for good minimal distros of linux, as I'd like to have the linux environment for coding.

Please reply whenever you guys are free as I'm in no hurry to install Manjaro. Also, keep in consideration the low data budget (no more than 300-400 mb/day) while proceeding to answer :sweat_smile:

Here to answer your questions:

1. It depends on the packages you have installed, how often they are updated and which branch you are on. For Stable i would say generally about 5GiB monthly, sometimes a bit more sometimes less, it depends on the update cycle. For the testing and unstable branches it would be more. Problem beeing the stable updates generally come in batches of 1.5-2.5GiB. If that is abolutely a concern for you, you might want to stick with a point release like Pop OS or Linux Mint.
  2. Hard to say. The programs you want to use depends on how you like to use your pc. It takes time to find all the perfect little tools for you, don't worry about it. We have a thread on that here in the forum though.
    You will not be able to install new programs via the package managers. If you neglect updating for too long there might be problems updating since you want to update a lot of different packages at once and there might be bigger changes that may have happened in the meantime. Just as a tip.. always make a small backup before updating and make bigger updates only from tty.
  3. You should, for the general system, be good to go. Problems arising depend on the usecase. Generally though if you could do it on Windows in this Machine, you will be able to in Linux aswell.... and likely a bit more.
1 Like

Thanks a lot Takei, it's clearer now.

By this did you mean on a daily basis? :confused:

About update checking, in pamac-manager you can simply turn that off and take your device / installation to a free acccess point to upgrade. If it's a desktop then making it so your installation runs primarily from USB might be able to make things easier for upgrading your desktop OS with a laptop, if you can boot from that.

:information_source: For GPT / UEFI, /boot/efi should be on the same media as the system.

Other than that, data usage will depend on what network-based applications are running. only connectting to the Internet when you absolutely need to seems to be the strategy in your case.

2 Likes

Noooo... :smiley: Monthly. Still it can be more or less.

1 Like

Thanks for the input hebgbs. I'm using a laptop actually and also I forgot to mention - it's because of the pandemic that I have these data restrictions. I usually stay at hostel whereI have unlimited supply :slight_smile:

Then you'll want a point release. Find a copy of Ubuntu with the desktop you like and turn update checking off. It also means you'll miss out on the Arch build system and using later versions of software unless you're ambitious enough to build everything in Debian yourself, but it's better than being slammed by your ISP for unexpected connections while having a stable system you can neglect for months on-end.

:shield: Also, Ubuntu's kernel is compatible with most instances of Intel's SecureBoot, for machines with WIndows 8 or greater included.

Okayy. So there is no other data usage if package updates are not being made?

Other than what you do online? No.

I'm in the same boat like you, having 2Gb/month and have KDE minimal installed updating manually.
I have not seen any traffic leaving the machine running Wireshark for quite an extensive timespan.
Only seeing the normal traffic, DHCP and NTP which uses very little data.

1 Like

Niceee
How do you manage updating packages if you don't mind haring... :grin:

Also, if you could throw some light on the light KDE install
@Pippin

You sir are way more frugal than me..... please show him the way then :smiley:

Wild guess: It's a laptop, which he then does pacman -Syyu at an access point nearby him which is freely accessible.

Public hotspots are very common over here.
Updates are not too much as stated already about each month or so.

1 Like

Let's see..
And what is this solution button? Can I mark multiple posts as solutions and will the thread get closed on marking solved?

You are so lucky. Not everybody gets to have that kind of luxury.

Thread shouldn't be closed on solved. Close condition is listed at the bottom of the page. Marking multiple solutions isn't a thing you can do, however you can quote a bunch of things in a single post and mark that as your solution.

1 Like

with kde is more 400Mo..1Go to download by update (all 10 days?, variable: see dates)
more you install apps and greater the download

change for all users (even more than with windows), repo and aur

No no, I wasn't talking about the installation. I'm asking that once installed, what is the data usage on average on a per day basis

no : manjaro is rolling (as windows !)
we have 1..3 updates monthly

After, for daily usage: is only you : same as windows (less pubs)

So those monthly stable updates is all that the os would require, in terms of data usage right? :thinking:
I think I can afford that.

2 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by