Dell XPS 9560 - Intel-Nvidia Bumblebee drivers install issue

Hello,
I have laptop Dell XPS 9560
A lot time a trying to install hybrid graphics drivers using different guide sources, but all was unsuccessful
I believe that it's not depends on laptop brand, it's just an applications and they are have ability to work with specific or several hardwares
I know, that my hardware is possible to make work hybrid video drivers because I have found sources where some users have same laptop and they are successful, but also before was older version of Manjaro system and some moments not the same in reality with current version of Manjaro

My basic hardware info:

CPU: Core i7-7700HQ
RAM: 32Gb DDR4 2400MHz
GPU: GeForce GTX 1050 [Mobile]

Command mhwd -li --pci output:

> Installed PCI configs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
           video-linux            2018.02.15                true            PCI

And output of mhwd -l:

> 0000:00:02.0 (0300:8086:591b) Display controller Intel Corporation:
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee            2018.02.23               false            PCI
            video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

> 0000:01:00.0 (0302:10de:1c8d) Display controller nVidia Corporation:
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee            2018.02.23               false            PCI
          video-nvidia            2018.02.23               false            PCI

Current status at screenshot of Manjaro-Settings-Manager
Screenshot%20from%202018-04-10%2020-53-41

I have tried to install video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee - not works :disappointed_relieved:

System installed using Manjaro-Architect
I have to choose video-linux driver when installing system, other options not works, system freezes at booting gdm (I using Gnome) or sometimes not freezes, then I trying to go into terminal Ctrl+Alt+F2-7 but starts lags as flashing screen between startup terminal and login terminal.

Help please, I lost a lot of time of trying to make it by myself and currently now understood that I need something like step-by-step guide.

I found a new tutorial, but here is exists video-intel driver which I haven't when installing or with mhwd -l command no output about video-intel

If try to find something about linux-video, then you will read that it's nouveau hybrid driver
This driver is bad for me, because it's not supported anymore (have read from Arch Wiki) and I have a temperature about 90-95 on GPU when playing

And another one question))
Is it very depends on desktop environment (Gnome, KDE, i3, XFCE)?

Did you remove video-linux then install video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee, as indicated by the tutorial you just linked to?

Yes, I did. But after reboot I was catching an error something about "gdm was not started".
I will try it again and print it.
Is it enough to write output from journalctl -xe or better to use something else?

Also I almost sure that I will not have ability to open a terminal window using "Ctrl+Alt+F{2-7}" due to blinking between gdm and terminal screens, or even freezing on the screen where gdm should start.

If it will happen again I would like to boot from USB-flash (with Manjaro-Architect).
How can I correctly do chroot from it?
It will be needed for me to revert changes or try another method.

Ok, I got it worked

So, again about my laptop and system (Dell XPS 9560 - end of year 2017):

• System: Manjaro 17.1.7
  • Desktop env: Gnome
  • Kernel 4.49.92-1
  • CPU: Core i7-7700HQ
  • Integrated GPU: Intel® HD Graphics 630 (Kaby Lake GT2)
  • GPU: GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile

Steps:

1. Create file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf and write content blacklist nouveau
  2. Add to kernel params acpi_rev_override=1
  3. Install bumblebee pacman -S bumblebee
  4. Enable it systemctl enable bumblebeed
  5. Start it systemctl start bumblebeed
  6. I also checked result systemctl status bumblebeed
  7. Remove old drivers mhwd -r pci video-linux or mhwd -r pci video-intel
  8. Install new mhwd -i pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee
  9. sudo reboot

Difference between my tries and here is I had not installed bumblebee via pacman

Also, please note:
All steps that I did was in terminal window (Ctrl-Alt-F3) and I didn't use Desktop Environment
Maybe it's important, maybe not, but I don't think that you want risky

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by