Desktop does not load after install on laptop (GNOME & Xfce)

I installed Manjaro with the xfce and GNOME desktop multiple times, but without success.

I'm using a Clevo laptop, the P641HK model.

Installation steps:

• Create bootable usb stick with Rufus on Windows 10. I select the latest Manjaro xfce iso and use DD image writing option.
  • I boot from the usb stick, the system loads into a live version of Manjaro xfce.
  • I proceed with the installation
  • Installation is succesful, I reboot my system into Manjaro
  • Login screen appears, fill in my credentials and login.
  • The desktop just shows a wallpaper and a (movable) cursor, nothing more. On GNOME it just shows a black screen.
  • From the login in screen, when pressing Ctrl+Alt+F2 (or F1-F6), the virtual console does not start, it just shows a black screen. So I can't read any logs etc.
  • I tried various other Manjaro versions and distros, such as Manjaro i3 and Antergos.

What could be the issue? I myself think it has to do with my Nvidia graphics card, but I'm not sure.
I can't make anything of the stuff that appears on my screen, and like I mentioned, I can't get to logs etc.

Some specs:
Model: Clevo P641HK (Laptop)
CPU: Intel i7-7700HQ
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630 & Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti
RAM: 16 GB DDR4 RAM
Drives: Samsung 960 EVO 250 GB SSD & HGST 500 GB 7200 RPM HDD

I'm installing Manjaro on a 50 GB partition I've created on the 500 GB HDD.

Any support is appreciated. Tried searching for my issue, but didn't find much so far.

Thank you.

EDIT: this reply: Nvidia GTX1050 Ti driver problem solved it for me. It was, as expected, a graphics issue. Now I'm running Bumblebee without problems.
The steps I took to get a working Bumblebee setup:

1. Add modprobe.blacklist=nouveau to kernel parameters in grub, otherwise xfce would freeze on startup.
  2. Added config files to blacklist nouveau on the system.
  3. Added acpi_osi=! acpi_osi='Windows 2009' to grub config, and regenerated that. This is mentioned on the Fedora docs site: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/bumblebee/index.html#american-megatrend-bios-compatibility
    Also see: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kernel_parameters#GRUB
  4. Auto-installed proprietary driver from Manjaro settings.
  5. Added myself to Bumblebee group (sudo gpasswd -a bumblebee).
  6. Enabled Bumblebee service (systemctl enable bumblebeed.service).
  7. Reboot the system.
  8. Tested Bumblebee as told on the ArchWiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bumblebee#Test

That is usually wherein the problem lies.

I don't have a dual-card machine but plenty of others here do.

Someone should be along shortly to help you. :smiley:

Welcome to Manjaro Linux! :smiley:

regards

Yes I thought so, I'm almost sure that has to be the problem.
Thanks for your quick reply!

I have seen many, many posts similar to yours regarding dual-card machines. A forum search may yield you good results...save you a little time getting up & running.

regards

While at the login screen (lightdm) try to go to TTY and if successful check the logs and journal. If it fails, try editing Grub menu while booting and add 3 at the end of linux line. You should get straight to TTY .
Use wgetpaste to upload them.
Check:

inxi -SMGxxz
journalctl -b -p3
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log
mhwd -li
cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/*.conf

It wouldn't hurt to look for similar topics in the forum.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by