Discord and Brave unbearably extremely slow, require reboots

Hi all,

Whenever I start up Discord or Brave, which both are based off of Chromium I believe, the computer runs extremely slow for 5-10 minutes, with a load average of around 26-28. Then it gets back to normal and both applications run just fine. However, if I open another Brave process this problem restarts immediately. Sometimes I just reboot the machine.

I just installed Chromium and did not experience this problem at all, so it only seems to affect Brave and Discord. I suspect its the same issue, but I am not 100% certain. Also, when I check 'top' it says Firefox is using up the CPU, but even after I kill firefox the problem remains for a few minutes.

The only thing that stands out to me is that when Brave starts up, I get a message saying "You are using an unsupported command-line flag: --no-sandbox. Stability and security will suffer." I started brave by simply running "brave" from the command-line.

Hardware: I do not believe this is a factor as I just switched from Mint to Manjaro and did not experience these issues on Mint. However, I have 16 GB of ram, 1 TB of disk space. I do not have any swap space, but I also did not notice a change to the used swap space while the issue was happening. The processor is "Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz". The GPU is intel and on the processor. I run the Cinnomon desktop.

Ideas? This is making Manjaro effectively unusable.

Fairly difficult without seeing any journal output but I suspect a hardware issue rearing it's ugly head. Namely whatever storage medium you are using. Check it for errors on all partitions using live media because the checks need running with partitions unmounted.

anyhow, it sounds temperamental rather than limited to two or three programs so check what happens over the next 48 hours with all programs but do the storage error check too.

While that certainly is possible, I should say a few things.

1. This is a brand new solid state disk.
  2. I installed Manjaro a few times to check, same problem. Even when in the live disk, I experienced this problem.
  3. Had this problem for about a week now. Its limited to those 2 applications.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by