Distrowatch weekly 770 - Rise of Manjaro

Screenshot_20180703_173622
A picture tells a thousand words.

1 Like

For Manjaro, I don't think "suitable for newcomers" means it's always easy to maintain. Because that can be tricky with a cutting-edge, rolling release distro. But I do think "suitable for newcomers" means someone with little to no linux experience can get Manjaro up and running in a few minutes. It is absolutely "newcomer friendly" in that respect.

And getting a system up and runnning where you can do real desktop work is 95% of the linux learning curve in my opinion. Is that learning curve something that some in the linux community pride? I think so. Is learning all that really needed to run a linux system? I don't think so.

Once the desktop is up, anybody can read email, watch YouTube videos, listen to music, draw pictures or write documents. Even on Manjaro. It's not rocket science.

5 Likes

LOL! The Arch Forums has similar rules but maybe a third of the posters totally ignore them. Especially if they are using Manjaro. :frowning:

4 Likes

Me likee! :slight_smile:

The German Facebook group "Manjaro Linux Deutschland" also shows a steady rise in members, so it's definitely not a Distrowatch only effect:

Auswahl_002

2 Likes

Other forum member have spent time creating useful "standard information" threads (e.g. How to provide good information in your posts).

This sort of thread doesn't need a person with an @manjaro.org email address to write it. :wink:

1 Like

Isn't that what https://archived.forum.manjaro.org/c/newbies
is all about?

One must read or as we say out here... Ya can lead a horse to water but can't make him bath.

Sure you can. Run 'em up all sweaty, then unsaddle and let 'em take a dirt bath. Works every time! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

2 Likes

Oh I stand corrected... You would certainly know. :rofl:

I've sat bareback since I was 18 mos. old and don't remember a time without horses. I acquired my first (a !@#$% Shetland) when I was 8. What else would you expect from a kid growing up living in Dodge City in the '50s/'60s? :smiley:

regards

3 Likes

Actually I expected more from you ! Like packing across the arctic to Siberia. Oh maybe that is hush hush?

I'd just like to ride again. Maybe some day... :dreaming:

1 Like

LOL! Horses have never fared well in Alaska, for some reason I know not. Possibly because there is little hay grown outside of the limited Mat-Su region and ferrying it up on the barges would be prohibitive.

Me too. More than you know. My old nag got me through very difficult teenage years. Whenever things got too bad I threw on the saddlebags and we headed for the river. I had my best old crowbait for nearly 30 years. Man, I miss him. :smiley:

2 Likes

Yep! Horses and dogs listen better then parents.
Got to go now...

Happy trails c00ter

2 Likes

Thanks.
So tl;dr they are all arch (but a freaking GUI to install them), but manjaro also has the added benefit of a middleman even doing the guinea pig in your place.

Made me remember of that one time I had my laptop opened in class..
And a dude passed by and inquirried me if I just so wasn't happening to be running manjaro there.

When wtf, I'd have thought even my "nerd friends" wouldn't have known a linux-word more than ub'untu

3 Likes

That is pretty incredible.

What's this Ubuntu? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

2 Likes

I traded in my horse at 14 for a steel horse never went back.

Well, you know me, I had to have both, flesh & steel.

Which makes a lot more sense than my brother's situation. I mean, who can ride two Harley's? Sheesh

1 Like

Me Me standing on the 2 seats lol :tada:

3 Likes

I think Manjaro is popular due to the fact:

1. It has a lot of "flavors", even more than Ubuntu.
  2. It also has "minimal" alternatives to the main flavors.
  3. It has one of the best Plasma desktop ever made. I bet that the orfans from Linux Mint KDE are moving up to Manjaro due to its popularity in relation of Plasma.
  4. Like it or not, Manjaro is what is called "Ubuntu from Arch".
  5. It's one of the distros that ships ready-to-use WMs.
  6. People are moving from Ubuntu due to the privacy issues. Manjaro seems to be a good alternative for them, and not too hard like pure Arch.
  7. Manjaro doesn't need PPAs, the repo is huge and there is AUR for the unsatisfied ones!
  8. Like Ubuntu, Mint and other Debian/Ubuntu based distros, Manjaro has something that makes everything easier for the newbies and even for the experts. I'm talking about Manjaro Settings. You can easily install language packages, removing or installing kernels, installing or removing drivers (proprietary or not) using a GUI... For people that are used to other distros that have these stuff, they'll enjoy Manjaro as well.
  9. And youu guys know, it's a green distro, the greener the better. Just take a look at Linux Mint, openSUSE... Okay, just a silly coincidence.
6 Likes

I actually lost a job (interview) once because I said I ran manjaro
(they ran an in-house arch media spun for their own needs for system maintenance and such)
The interview got all the way to an interesting point where lead IT had me in front of a console with certain issues to solve. Passed with flying colors of course (ls and cd arent that hard) but they didnt like my choice of OS. :sob:

3 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by