Does AMD still have better cpu/gpu support linux than intel/nvdia in 2019?

I heard that amd's gpu has better support for linux than nvdia's and its cpu has better support linux than intel's. But I'm not sure whether it still holds true in 2019.

If I want to buy latest cpu/gpu, are amd's gpu/cpu better choices in 2019?

yes, nvidia still does closed source only, so AMD has better support for Linux and open source. If you buy anything from the RX lineup, you are good to go.

Intel graphic chips have significantly less power then AMD or Nvidia, their open source support is better then Nvidia's but worse then AMD's.

On the CPU side, Ryzen changed the market, AMD now is the better option in all price ranges as they have comparable power per core, but consume less energy and stay cooler then Intel. For the same money, you get more cores at AMD. For Hardware security breaches, AMD is far less affected then Intel. (AMD is theoretically vulnerable for some breaches, too - but there still are no practical test cases that prove the theory, while for Intel, all of the breaches are proven in such test cases)

15 Likes

thanks for your suggestion, but I cannot find any mobile amd cpu's performance can be close to i7 8750h :frowning:

We really need to know your use case to determine whether: 1) those extra cores are worth the money, and 2) whether integrated graphics are what you ar ereally after, or 3) dedicated graphics. With mobile there are a lot more things to weigh. Lastly what model of laptop are you looking at.

We really need to know your use case to determine whether:

My bad.

I compile c++ program(write my own library to practice c++) with gcc/clang frequently, often open over 100 chromium tabs, sometimes learn computer graphic with c++. So, cpu, gpu, memory(at least 16g) are all important. I'm a student and seldom stay in dorm, so I need a notebook.

extensive, high performance(cpu, gpu, memory), weight is not important(because I'm strong enough haha)

there are some notebooks by Asus and Acer that actually use desktop CPU's that outperform any mobile chip. (For example Acer Predator Helios 500 or ASUS ROG Strix GL702ZC)

If you want to have a real mobile chip, AMD launched the Ryzen Mobile 3000 series just recently but notebooks need to appear with them. The 3000 series also contains 3000H CPU's for high performance.

if 3750's performance is close to i5 8300h, I'll give it a try.

They are too expensive for me.

Anyway, thanks for your recommendations!

I think that AMD graphical cards is not a better option, as it consumes more power and provide mediocre performance:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia-rtx2080-linux&num=1
NVidia proprietary driver works very well on Linux IMO.

1 Like

Okay for compiling obviously you want the maximum number of cores you can get. For graphics you can go with a more powerful integrated solution in which case AMD may provide you with the right balance. If you need dedicated graphics you are opening the hybrid graphics can of worms, and most of those on the market are going to be intel/nvidia combos. Another option is an integrated solution with an external graphics card for heavy lifting.

Another option depending on how your budget and campus infrastructure is set up is to buy a used business grade laptop and a used business workstation. You could set up the two so you would actually do the compiling on your server, but your laptop could do it also, just not as well. In the US I have seen used Macs for $500 with 24 cores... I don't care how new that laptop is it ain't doing that kind of heavy lifting. All of this depends on what kind of infrastructure you have on campus if you have cat5+ cabling and have that run in the dorms it might be a very feasible plan. Otherwise go pure mobile, but you might want to look at two year old workstations like the Lenovo Thinkpad P50 series to get more bang for your money.

I also thought old work station/business grade laptop(like latitude, elitebook, thinkpad) are good choices until 8gen intel cpus come out: 8 gen i7/i5 are much better than <=7 gen i7/i5..

In the US I have seen used Macs for $500 with 24 cores…

impress me a lot!

The cpu i'm currently using is elitebook 8470p, i7 3720qm, from the benchmark, it is far away from i5 8300h.

If you are looking at quadcores without dedicated graphics, yes a new laptop may be the way to go because the quadcores hit the sweet spot. If you are worried about speculative execution attacks intel is more vulnerable than AMD. A lot of this also comes down to your budget. For instance that elitebook 8470p coul dlikely be upgraded to an i7-3840qm for around 150 USD. Leaving you the entirety of your budget for a server build. It depends on how much you are willing to put down. I mean if you have a reasonable budget take a look at the Lenovo Thinkpad P1 workstation they are on sale right now.

AMD! AMD! If you buy a computer to run Linux, you use AMD! :joy:

5 Likes

virtually agree.

Leaving you the entirety of your budget for a server build.

I have two vps, both have poor performance. Those with higher performance is overpriced for me

I used to have a thinkpad t420s whose keybord is the best I have seen among laptop keyboards. I cannot afford thinkpad p1 now. In China, I can buy a notebook i5 9600k + 1050ti(4g) + 8g + 128ssd + 1thdd with 5788.00 RMB (around 865.25 $).

The T420 does have the best laptop keyboard ever, no doubt.

That is a pretty good deal depending on build quality and display. Of course I can guess battery life will suck, but as long as you are plugged in you will be set.

1 Like

While I agree AMD has better support for open source than Nvidia does. I don't agree that they support open source more than Intel since Intel has their own Linux disto...to my knowledge AMD has no such thing

That’s why the Overclockable Ryzen 3 lineup exists. For those who want excellent performance without emptying their bank accounts :p.

I run a Lenovo t410, and it is an amazing laptop. It’s a little slow, but not unusable, especially with Linux and a RAM upgrade! The build quality on those are also stellar, and they have nice keyboards!

Lenovo T430 here I7-3520m,, 16gb RAM, 500gb Samsung 860 Evo built to last, near new condition, love it, but with last year being the year when quadcore became default for a laptop the time is approaching when I will have to get a new one, or rather it will make sense to get a new one, I will probably hang on to this laptop until it kicks it.

They just don’t build thinkpads the same... I would love to upgrade a thinkpad with 2018-19 specs...

1 Like

Still better than the rest, I just miss socketed mobile cpus in laptops.

Forum kindly sponsored by