Does anyone actually use snaps?

They'll backpeddle and say they meant to announce it but it got lost in the shuffle , gives me the creeps though .

1 Like

Quote from Clement Lefebvre's post:

Ubuntu is planning to replace the Chromium repository package with an empty package which installs the Chromium snap. In other words, as you install APT updates, Snap becomes a requirement for you to continue to use Chromium and installs itself behind your back. This breaks one of the major worries many people had when Snap was announced and a promise from its developers that it would never replace APT.

9 Likes

WOW .This sucks

2 Likes

Testing the resource impact of snaps. Snapd takes about 20-30Mb on startup. This is not entirely trivial, so if a user does not use snaps, disabling snapd is a good idea.

Gnome-software takes about 60Mb on fresh boot. This is excessive. Luckily, we can disable it at startup without losing any functionality. Except update checking, and we already have pamac doing that. If autostart is disabled, then including gnome-software seems like an okay idea.

Tested also snap store. As a plus side, it lists snaps in the store. As a negative, it lists nothing else and has no desktop integration

3 Likes

You probably are not right person to ask, but are there any plans of snap integration in Pamac 8?

Well this was in the latest Stable Update announcement:

Unless I am misunderstanding something, that sounds like Snap Store being included to me.

No it isn't... yet. Snap support doesn't mean the store is installed. It just means the daemon snapd is running and the system is ready to manage snaps. In the case of XFCE, Gnome and KDE, the management frontend software will be GnomeSoftware and Discover (this is alternative to the snap store, which can be installed from the repos).

Personally, if I was going to use snaps, I'd go for the snap store anyway. Snap support is already there, I don't understand the fuss around having one store over the other.

Snap store is massive in size compared to gnome-software-snap. Also it manages only snaps, not flatpaks or repo packages. Therefore I think that using gnome-software is the better option.

2 Likes

That is perfect imho. So I always know that everything listed there are snaps. While in Discover, its interface is so unintuitive, I have no freaking idea whether an app is snap or pkg or something. Don't know how it's shown in Gnome Software, I guess a bit better, given the fact that everything is better than Discover, even Microsoft Store :rofl:

1 Like

In gnome-software it is not very difficult tell what is what, and you can easily manage repos and sources in settings.

1 Like

Come on it is hard if you want it to be in your mind lol :rofl:

Ok, I can understand this. On the other hand, having a separate application to manage snaps is better IMO.

I think it would be good to have a web app launcher like we have for ms-office. Separated app store, next to no overhead. @codesardine @philm. Either that or integrate snaps into pamac or gnome-software. But snap store is not worth extra 500Mb disk space.

6 Likes

I actually thought of this, using JAK for example.

2 Likes

Exactly. That would avoid overly large isos

JAK depends on QT, not sure how big will make a GTK based ISO.

1 Like

Hasn't the latter already been done? The 18.1 rc3 isos have either a version of gnome-software or discover with snap support built-in.

No, I don't use snaps, I don't want want one, for profit, company controlling my packaged software. The daemon dials home with information without even asking. Snap updates things like compilers and other version sensitive tools in the background, again, with no notification. Snaps = Spyware + Loss of Control. Until there are some safety and privacy guarantees I'd steer clear of Snaps. Also, last I checked, the only way to turn off auto-updates is to block ports. The code is open source but the decisions are clearly not, there is a sense that most of the decisions regarding Snap development are made based on corporate support user feedback not open source community feedback... would the open source community, for example, accept that there is no way to turn off auto-updates and dialing home other than blocking ports or by other means of force.

5 Likes

Calamares depends on QT, as does the ms-office launcher. The only isos without qt are manjaro-architect and the bspwm edition. Everything else has both qt and gtk installed.

In my testing the snap installation and removal works, but snaps are not listed with the other apps in gnome-software and snaps cannot be toggled as a installation source like everything else can. So, it supports installing and managing snaps, but not browsing them directly inside gnome-software.

But maybe the version on isos is somehow different? I'll need to test this.

1 Like

Sure I don't see an issue with that.

Forum kindly sponsored by