Download speeds seriously compromised

Hi everyone.
On my Mac and windows I download at about 1100 kbps, on my manjaro laptop, the fastest its ever downloaded is 150, usually below 100.
What could be the cause for this?

All sorts of things, for example:

• Weak wifi signal
  • Poor driver support for wifi card
  • Limited/capped data transfer or ISP traffic shaping
  • Traffic shaping on your router
  • Transient network conditions
  • etc. etc. etc.

"How long is a piece of string?"

I suspect its the wifi driver. How can I find the correct one?

Search the web? Search the forum? Not sure.

If the card is working it likely has the "correct" driver already.

You should verify that other OS do not exhibit the same issue on the same hardware before thinking there's something wrong with Manjaro etc.

Ok, I am now running a live version of xfce on my kde install of manjaro.
How can I see which wifi driver it is using?
Thanks

inxi -N will tell you specifically about the network devices.

Have a look at inxi --help for more information (or just run inxi -Fxxxz for everything).

1 Like

Perfect. I have taken a pic of the info, it is definitely different than what my KDE is running, and downloading is lightning fast. Thanks!

If you're going to post it, please post it as text rather than an image. :wink:

Got it, thanks again.
Network:
Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
driver: r8169
Card-2: Broadcom Limited BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter
driver: bcma-pci-bridge

Eww... that thing.

I believe this will sort it:

1 Like

Thanks again! Now my challenge begins!

The BCM4313 wifi card is compatible with the "brcm80211" driver included in the kernel, or the "broadcom-wl" driver. You should only have one of those drivers installed, or they may conflict with each other. If you are installing the "broadcom-wl-dkms" driver with BCM4313 you may need to blacklist more modules than in the linked post. Try blacklisting all the following drivers:

blacklist mac80211
blacklist brcm80211
blacklist cfg80211
blacklist lib80211_crypt_tkip
blacklist lib80211
blacklist b43
blacklist b43legacy
blacklist ssb
blacklist brcmsmac
blacklist brcmfmac
blacklist bcma

If the broadcom-wl-dkms driver does not work well, then using the brcm8021driver may be the better alternative. Let us know how it goes with your install.

(edit) I also just noticed you have the r8169 driver loading with the r8168 adapter. If that was not a deliberate change on your part, you should probably also add "blacklist r8169" to the above driver blacklist.

1 Like

Thanks, I'll update everyone on the results. The r8169 was placed there by the system, so I'll blacklist it as well. Thanks!

one more quick question. Does the blacklist take precedence over whats installed or does whats installed count first?

The blacklist prevents modules from loading at boot that may conflict with the driver modules you want to load.

1 Like

is this solved? can OP please tick the post that solves this?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by