The things I've tried so far
I installed Manjaro KDE from the live usb. It worked sorta fine, occassional screen flickering on logging out but generally fine.
I installed the non-free drivers from the configuration utility and the GUI stopped coming on. It'll load until the startup message and nothing would show up. I could switch to other TTYs but startx did not work.
Then I uninstalled the nvidia driver and followed this guide to install optimus manager and rename the xorg config files etc and now I've non-free drivers installed and the system boots but it's still not right.
The few things I noticed amiss are that,
- Sometimes KDE won't log in, blank screen but I can switch TTY and reboot
- Screen flickering sometimes after screen turns off, like when logging out
- nvidia-settings won't open saying unable to load info from any available system.
- optimus-manager-qt fails to load saying unable to detect GPU
but other than these
- systemctl status optimus-manager.service seems to be fine, says there's a key error intel but seems ok
- inxi -G says
Graphics: Device-1: NVIDIA TU117M [GeForce GTX 1650 Mobile / Max-Q] driver: N/A Device-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Picasso driver: amdgpu v: kernel Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.7 driver: amdgpu FAILED: ati unloaded: modesetting resolution: 1920x1080~120Hz OpenGL: renderer: AMD RAVEN (DRM 3.35.0 5.4.23-1-MANJARO LLVM 9.0.1) v: 4.5 Mesa 19.3.4
So, out of all this, I'm not really sure what should I fix. I'd really like some help with this, first time using linux on an Nvidia graphics card. Any hint would be appreciated.
My system is a laptop with a Ryzen 5 processor and a Geforce GTX 1650.