Dual boot, efi problem after reinstalling Manjaro

Hi everyone, I got fed up with windows and finally decided to dual boot Manjaro, I created a new partition and installed Manjaro on it, it worked perfectly so I played around a bit, later I decided to do a clean install and I ended up with some kind of efi error.

I am not very familiar with boot partitions so I'll try my best to explain what I did to reach here.

After I decided that I want to reinstall Manjaro, I went into the usb installer and used Gparted to delete the Manjaro installation partition, then I went on to reinstall the OS on the unallocated partition that i just deleted, it spit out this error halfway through installation. I'm not sure if I should delete sda2 at this point, of course I would like to keep my windows installation intact.

screenshot: https://ibb.co/RhkhHRL

I'm also not able to boot into windows either as I get this grub error:
"error: file "/boot/grub/x86_64-efi/normal.mod" not found.
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue>_

In order to boot I am using the Manjaro installation media to detect and select the windows efi from the list.
I am not sure what installation my windows OS is (if it matters), but I booted the Manjaro installation as UEFI at all times.
Thank you!

I am sure someone will post soon that can help; perhaps some more information will be helpful though.

/dev/sda1 -- ntfs -- 450MB / 39.45MB free -- hidden, diag

^^^ This must be your recovery partition, to reinstall windows.

/dev/sda2 -- fat32 -- 100MB / 66.94MB free -- boot, esp

^^^ Do you remember if you formatted this boot partition when you installed Manjaro the last time??

/dev/sda3 -- reserved -- 16MB / X -- msftres
^^^ We don't wanna ever format this one of course (Windows).

/dev/sda4 -- ntfs -- 246.28GB / 64.89GB free -- msftdata

^^^ This is where you have Windows install, correct?

/dev/sda4 -- "unallocated" -- 200.00GB / X free -- X

^^^ From your notes, I can tell this is where Manjaro was installed; and you were going to install it here again. Got it.

FYI: This is not typically required, I suggest in the future running Manjaro setup; then select the "manual" partitioning method. You could set it to format the partition at that time, without taking the extra steps of doing it in Gparted.

As you noted, you do not want to format, or delete the /dev/sda2 partition; this would break Windows.

A coupe recommendations for future reference.

You could sometimes run into trouble keeping your data files ("My Documents" and/or "/home/"), on the same partition. If you end up having to do an operating system reinstall (OSRI), you could end up wiping out your data files.

Also: I would like to discourage you from using logical partitions. Using either MS-DOS or GPT, you can have no more than 4 primary partitions. It's happened to me twice, on two different HDD's; but the super-block on my logical partition(s) were corrupted somehow (I don't know how), and only impacted the logical volumes--but I did lose some data.

Point being: Others may disagree, but I'd discourage you from using logical partitions; but in this case, it's difficult not to dual booting with Windows and Manjaro--you can only have 4 primary partitions.

Don't worry about that right now, but something to think about later.

I bring this up, as: Windows requires 3 partitions, minimum (reserved, OS, boot), and it's best to use 3 partitions for Manjaro (root, home, swap); boot partition can be shared.

To use a shared EFI boot partition, this article recommends a 500mb partition; sounds slightly excessive, but.

"Dual booting Windows and Linux using UEFI" (2019)

If you plan on dual-booting with Windows long-term, I suggest getting a second HDD. This will help avoid using logical partitions (if you lose one, you could lose them all); and will help keep your OS files and personal data files on separate partitions.

Windows gives you an option (once installed and logged in), to move your "My Documents" folder to another partition; to get it off of drive C:.

You could get an SSD for fast booting, and put Windows OS (C:), on it; and put Manjaro / (root), and then perhaps the Manjaro Swap partition on it (optional).

Then you could put your data files (My Documents, and /home/), on your regular HDD; that way you're using primary partitions, and all of your OS files and personal files are on separate partitions. Or, you could do the same with 2 HDD's.

The Linux Swap partition is rarely used, only when you run out of DDRAM (memory); you can use a swap file the way Windows does, but that's more complex to setup (I haven't done it, don't need to).

Anyway, I'd love to try and help you more; but I'm the OSRI King!

Linux hasn't forced me to learn troubleshooting the way Windows does; if I run into a big problem I can't fix in 30-60 minutes, I just format over my root and boot partitions (leaving my /home/ untouched, and just assigned to /home/ w/out formatting it), then update and done. lol

That's just me. Let me know if you have any questions though. Thanks.

Sorry, don't mean to overwhelm you; just wanted to help you for the future if you dual-boot long-term.

BTW: What's your system info: desktop/laptop, model# of it, and the LiveCD ISO version you're using (eg: 19.1.5 or?)?

Try searching for your hard drive in grub. First remove all other drives, then type ls. Whichever hard drive (HD) has the most partitions is the correct one. Then type ls (hdx,1)/ (x being the drive number) if that doesn’t show the folders bin, boot, etc... try ls (hdx,2)/ and so on until you get to the proper partition. One you find in, type insmod (hdx,x)/boot/grub/x86_64-efi/normal.mod thenbootLastly, run sudo grub-install /dev/sda —debug Then sudo update-grub Then if there are no errors, grub should be back.

@T-nash
Use this.

Mode in uefi.

Method above by SlayerProof won't work.
normal.mod won't be found in uefi

That's correct!, I did not format sda2 at all.
I was able to fix it, I'll post how I did it below.
Thanks!

So I was able to fix it, here's how I did it if someone else is stuck.
I went and deleted the EFI partition (sda2 in my case), by either gparted in linux or diskpart in windows.
after that I created a windows 10 installation media on a usb, booted it and went into cmd and executed these commands:
diskpart
list disk (Identify which disk you have/will install the OS on)
select disk
create partition efi size=100
format quick fs=fat32
assign letter=S
now you have to check the volume name of the windows partition.
list volume
Identify which one windows is installed on and write down the volume letter.
exit
now type the following
bcdboot X:\windows /s S: /f EFI (replace X with the volume letter of where windows is installed -note /f EFI if you're using uefi or /f bios if you're using bios)
that's it, restart your computer, boot Manjaro/Linux installation and install normally, Manjaro would install normally and replace windows bootloader with grub. everything should work fine.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by