Dual-Boot windows 10 and manjaro, grub not working

I'm new on Linux, use Manjaro KDE Plasma 5, and made dual boot of manjaro and my windows 10. But when I restarted the pc to end the installation it booted directly in windows. Then I went into my BIOS and selected to boot the entire hd, it was selected just the windows partition, and it booted the Manjaro but the grub didn't showed up anytime. So if someone knows how to configure the grub, I think it's installed because in one of my pc boots the grub appeared showing just majaro options and before that it never appeared again.

Use Shift during boot to activate the grub menu.

Or - as root - edit these lines in the file /etc/default/grub to read

sudo nano /etc/default/grub
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu

Press F2yEnter to save the changes and reboot.

Thanks, I'm going to do that now, just arrived at home.

If I press shift the windows option doesn't appear to be selected what could I do?

Please post the output of
sudo parted -l
to give the forum some idea about your disk set-up.

[dna@dna-pc ~]$ sudo parted -l
Model: ATA WDC WD10EZEX-75W (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 1000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags: 

Warning: failed to translate partition name
Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Name                          Flags
 1      1049kB  683MB   682MB   fat32           EFI system partition          boot, esp
 2      683MB   817MB   134MB                   Microsoft reserved partition  msftres
 3      817MB   771GB   771GB   ntfs            Basic data partition          msftdata
 7      771GB   793GB   21,5GB  linux-swap(v1)                                swap
 8      793GB   986GB   193GB   ext4
 4      986GB   987GB   519MB   ntfs                                          hidden, diag
 5      987GB   999GB   12,4GB  ntfs                                          hidden, diag
 6      999GB   1000GB  1206MB  ntfs                                          hidden, diag

here it is

my problem now is more that i don't have the option to boot into my windows 10 in the grub menu

What does sudo os-prober say? Does it capture Windows Boot Manager?

it's saying nothing

[dna@dna-pc ~]$ sudo os-prober
[sudo] password for dna: 
[dna@dna-pc ~]$ 

Please post the output of

ls -l /boot/efi/EFI

(and yes, the first efi must be lowercase; the second EFI is all uppercase.)

[dna@dna-pc ~]$ ls -l /boot/efi/EFI
ls: cannot access '/boot/efi/EFI': No such file or directory
[dna@dna-pc ~]$ 
sudo ls -l /boot/efi/EFI

I forgot that /boot/efi is readable only by root.

My suspicion is that you might have installed Manjaro in Legacy/MBR/CSM mode while your Windows is installed in UEFI mode. To have more info to work with, please post the output of the following commands:
findmnt /boot/efi
and
[ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo UEFI || echo BIOS

[dna@dna-pc ~]$ sudo ls -l /boot/efi/EFI
[sudo] password for dna: 
ls: cannot access '/boot/efi/EFI': No such file or directory
[dna@dna-pc ~]$ 
[dna@dna-pc ~]$ [ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo UEFI || echo BIOS
BIOS
[dna@dna-pc ~]$ findmnt /boot/efi
[dna@dna-pc ~]$ 

As @Marte suspected, you installed Manjaro in MBR/CSM mode while Windows is installed in UEFI mode. You can fix this by booting the Manjaro ISO in UEFI mode and following the UEFI instructions to reinstall GRUB.

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Restore_the_GRUB_Bootloader

2 Likes

could you give me a hint about how to do that, as i said before i'm new in the linux world. And now I'm kinda lost in that UEFI and MBR/CSM thing

I linked an entire wiki article. Can you be more specific as to which part you need a hint?

I edited my reply, it's about the UEFI and MBR/CSM thing

1 Like

If you want to take the easy way out ( and if this is a new install) just reinstall Manjaro in UEFI mode. Disable Legacy/CSM mode in your firmware settings and boot up your Manjaro live usb in UEFI mode. For the installation follow the instructions in the User Guide. Scroll down to page 56, read and follow the instruction carefully to replace your current Manjaro partition and choose the EFI system partition:
1 1049kB 683MB 682MB fat32 EFI system partition boot, esp
as the location for the installation of the bootloader. Good luck!

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by