Dual Boot with Windows 10 - UEFI Bios - 2 SSD

Hello all,

on my work notebook I have Windows 10 installed on SSD standard slot disk

Now I found I have the M2 slot free, so I would like to dedicate a brand new M2 disk to Manjaro, but I need a dual boot system (UEFI enabled) with Win10 and Windows Disk should not be modified, so If I needed I could remove the M2 disk and start again Windows without any problem

Questions:

How I can do this without any change on the SSD Windows disk?

Should I install Grub2 (and Manjaro) on the M2 with the SSD Windows already connected or should I remove the SSD before and then configure it on the Grub2?

Or there are any other solutions?

Thank you folks :grinning:

Regards,
Simone

Have you checked these posts out?

https://archived.forum.manjaro.org/search?q=Dual%20Boot%20with%20Windows%2010

I had exactly the same question but my installation routine was the other way round:

You can make an $esp (150 MB, fat32, mount as /boot/efi) on the M2 or use the existing (windows) $esp on the SSD (do not format!). The former is preferable. Either will work.

No need to remove SSD.

Uhm... yes, install grub 2, but do not say "install to which device" in UEFI. But rather, where can I put the $esp. So yes, in either one. Doesn't matter. You can in fact, make a new $esp in SSD for Manjaro and install (root) Manjaro in M2, if you want. Doesn't matter either.

Good luck.

ps: just be sure both SSD and M2 are bios-bootable. That matters.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply, I really appreciated it.

Now, just to be sure I understand or to understand better, I can make another $esp partition in the new M2 SSD for Manjaro, it is ok but what will happen to old windows's ssd $esp partition? Would it be available again if I move out the M2 disk with Manjaro and the new $esp?

Yes, to all above.
The windows $esp is still in (old) SSD so when/if you remove M2, it is still there.
Just set back the boot priority to windows bootentry (when you want to that).
Usually, this can be done at the bios set-up key (F2) and just select windows entry as first boot.
Check out your bios set up to be comfortable with it beforehand if you want to that.

You will find it is more convenient than the old bios-legacy mbr set-up (for the same purpose).
Just that we need to get used to it.
Don't worry, we are still here if you run into any issue, but I bet you won't (run into issue).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by