Eduroam network - Why does network manager use old key_mgmt assignment

I have a WiFi-network called "eduroam", which I have created earlier and I assume that its config-file is this one: /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/eduroam.nmconnection. It has key_mgmt=WPA-EAP which I want to change to key_mgmt=WPA-PSK. I know I could do this via the GUI, but that's not the point. Thing is: When I go ahead and change the key_mgmt variable manually (via vi as su), and then select the eduroam WiFi in the taskbar and monitor the connection process with journalctl -f -u NetworkManager, it says

.... NetworkManager[419]: [1589561092.5864] Config: added 'key_mgmt' value 'WPA-EAP WPA-EAP-SHA256 FT-EAP FT-EAP-SHA384'

So evidently, it is still using the previous assignment to key_mgmt which should not exist anymore in my understanding. This even happens after logging out and back in, and deleting the old eduroam.nmconnection~ file. What is going on?

EDIT: This happens no matter which variable I change. It continues to use the old variable assignment.

Bad network manager!!!

Give Connman a try, it sometimes plays better with eduroam networks.

Perhaps it is just one of NM's myriad of quirks.

2 Likes

I'm so glad that Connman worked for you.

If you are happy with Connman's performance be sure to add NetworkManager to the "ignore" list in your pacman.conf so that it isn't inadvertently updated causing a conflict between the programs in the future.

Does it suffice to simply add NoUpgrade = /etc/NetworkManager to pacman.conf?

I believe that should be:

IgnorePkg=NetworkManager 

Check the Archwiki for details regarding pacman if unsure:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman#Configuration

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by