Spoke too soon. The new 4.13./4.14 kernel causes a weird glitch:
- the left side 80% of the screen distort at boot animation
- at desktop, the left 80% of the screen is black, the 20% is ok
- clicks on the black bit are 'getting through' to windows below, mouse-overs of windows below are visible on cursor icon status changes, if you open a terminal via keyboard you can 'feel' your way to the title bar, drag it into the 20% and use it
- if you remote desktop into your glitched machine there is no glitch
- the glitch is 'fixable'
How to 'fix' it:
- I use a script to change my eee-pc resolution on the fly, 'newrez' https://www.linux-apps.com/content/show.php/newrez+-+Increase+Screen+Rez+For+Netbook?content=134686
- place newrez.sh where you can see it, the 20% strip
- run it, either reloading default or switching to a different res
and the glitch is gone!
I recon any command to xrandr would do the same, e.g in 'Monitor settings', haven't tried that yet, though. If I set the 'newrez to default' command to run at startup I can use the machine.
I have a triple boot on this machine, 2 18.3 Mints and 1 Manjaro32; the glitch happens on 1 Mint and on Manjaro, it does not happen on Mint Mate 18.3. Tried removing/installing intel-ucode, makes no difference.
There is an about 6-8 second delay at boot with this kernel.
If anyone has any idea I can try things. Could this be related to the window manager?