Efi partition location of manjaro in dual boot installation with windows 10

---I want to install manjaro in dual boot with windows 10 in uefi mode. But I hesitate between installing the efi manjro the same partition efi windows. Or create a separate efi partition of manjaro. What is the best method?

3 Likes

According to this tutorial we install an efi partition separate from that of windows. Is this the best method?

I always install to the same ESP with Windows.
I would simply follow the official Manjaro User Guide if in doubt.

2 Likes

No one is going to make the decision for you - if you cannot decide then nothing is going to happen.

1 Like

If you have to ask, I guess having the same $esp (efi partition) would be best for you.
That will be simpler and easier to do.

Others, like I, will have separate $esp's but will be more confusing to a new user and could mess up the installation.

But note some windows updates can destroy linux bootloaders when sharing $esp.
When (not if - unless you don't do windows updates) that happens, we can fix that for you.

You have to make that decision.

2 Likes

Both ways are quite safe, but it's always better to have a separate $esp for Linux, just in case, cuz Windows likes to create 100 mb $esp and that size could be not enough for some Linux loaders, or for future experiments. A separate $esp will also prevent overwriting of /boot/efi/EFI/Boot/BOOTX64.EFI fallback loader, that's not critical, but an example of one bootloader taking over another.

2 Likes

If it wasn't then it wouldn't be in a tutorial.

If you ask for help but don't trust the information provided then you're not going to get any further forwards.

1 Like

The guide offers 2 methods of installing a method with separate efi and other method with the same windows efi. The question is the advantage and disadvantage of each method. For me I find more sure not to touch the efi of windows and that manjaro has a separate efi.

So you are just asking for confirmation that is better?
Sorry, we people here are so well balanced and non-opinionated that we can't tell you that the best cake is only cheesecake. Oh.. wait a minute... drats!

1 Like

I sought an expert opinion on the advantages and disadvantages of each method. So I see that I will try a separate efi installation to discover the pros and cons and thank you for your positive or negative answers.

Welcome. Just to say that if you bake a bad cheesecake, it is not the cheesecake that's bad but the bad grubs you put into it.

1 Like

This wiki response I'm looking for.

Here we cite the advantage of efi separated. Thank you @linux-aarhus

Expert opinions is biased by the experience of the expert. While some never have experienced problems reusing the Windows EFI partition others have.

When you have two opposite opinions - as you have seen in the responses - you are the only one to make the choice.

Working with Manjaro is - in some regards - very much like Arch. It is about choice and making decisions on how you want your system.

No one on this forum neither can nor will make a choice for you. This is not meant to be negative - it is a reflection on life - like being at a crossroad - at your bike - you decide if you take the detour through the woods or the paved bikepath along the road.

It all depends on what you want to see or if you are in a hurry or you just like the challenge of mountain biking.

3 Likes

Finally I just installed manjaro xfce dual boot with windows 10, I chose to separate the efi partition of manjaro to that of windows. I followed the dispatch instructions. And after the end of installation I executed the command efibootmrg, majaro was placed in num 0003 in boot order. I executed the other commands so that manjaro is first. Although he gives me negative message. I restarted and I find myself with an elegant grub menu with manjaro on the 1st and windows on the 2nd. I am happy to have successfully completed the installation. And thank you

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by