"efi", "tmp' and "filesystem root" all mounted automatically, cannot remove

Hi guys,

Yesterday, I was messing around with my Manjaro install, and decided to install the Gnome desktop environment to see how it would look.

I installed it using the command "pacman -S gnome"

I quickly decided it wasn't for me, and so I tried to remove it, using the command "pacman -R gnome". It wouldn't allow me to remove it using this command, so I used "pacman -Rs gnome". This worked fine.

I restarted my machine, but then when I logged in again (I use XFCE by default and it is currently the only environment I use now), I noticed on my desktop that I had three removable devices mount that I didn't have before, titled "efi", "tmp' and "filesystem root".

I went in to File Manager and could see them there too.

Screenshot_2017-10-16_17-59-13

I am unable to unmount them.

Does anyone have any idea how I can hide/remove these, and why they have appeared? Is what I was doing with installing/remove Gnome anything to do with it? These mount points weren't there before.

I'm quite new to Manjaro, only been using it a few months, and my only exposure to Linux prior to that was Ubuntu, so please go easy on me!

So I actually managed to fix this myself.

I checked my fstab file, and could see that there were entries in there for the above mount points. I commented them out, saved the changes and restarted, and they are gonr.

Not sure how they got there in the first place.

Thanks anyway, guys.

At a guess gnome decided to add them. I was going too low level into gvfs/udev to see how they were being hidden, I had assumed something was configured to un-hide them. I was about to ask if you have a ~/.gvfs directory, because I was coming up with nothing. Glad you found the issue.

I don't know why they appeared separately, might be due to your Gnome install, but they are always mounted automatically, it's just normally they all appear under File System as folders.

You played with Gnome disks to auto-mount that is how the entries got their nothing to do with Gnome.

I guess gnome disks was most probably installed when he installed the gnome desktop, and not individually when he only had xfce, so it is related to his gnome-install.

No gnome-disks only changes any thing if use your user password it does not do things on its own. nor does Gnome/KDE/XFCE4 its the user that does these things playing, but then that is how you learn about how to go about things and mostly to try and remember what you did, and the last part is the hard part for me anyway :blush:
So not pointing the finger we all do it from time to time

I know, what I meant is that since xfce doesn't have gnome disks by default, it must have come with the gnome installation, that's all, I meant this to be related to gnome only in this sense.

Sorry I misunderstood you. you can of course install gnome disks on any gtk environment its a stand alone app.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by