Emoji reaction selection unavailable?

The popup for selecting an emoji reaction -- not to confuse with emojis while posting -- is blank on my end. Does anyone else have the issue?

4 Likes

Yes, same here.

On both Firefox and Vivaldi.

2 Likes

Confirmed here as well.

Maybe the forum container is mid update or needs a reboot? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

During the past couple of hours, the forum was sporadically down. I got various 502 and 504 errors. Now it seems to be back up, but the emoji reaction selector does not work.

I'm on Firefox.

1 Like

Yeah, something has broken. I'm having a look.

I'll try a container rebuild, that can help if Discourse has made back-end changes.

Nope, that didn't help. Looks like there's a bug somewhere.

7 Likes

If that helps, i noticed the background for already selected emoji reactions has turned white (transparent?), and the number next to it is invisible (because white too). A theme issue?

1 Like

I've tried with a "vanilla" theme and the issue persists. This looks like a bug in the Retort plugin caused by a change in Discourse.

4 Likes
5 Likes

Coincided perfectly with me changing some stuff on my system, therefore I thought I'd broken something my end :crazy_face:

It's still possible to use emoji in posts though, just start typing the code for them with :

this brings up a search dialogue, either carry on typing if you know the partial name or click on more and the popup you would normally see works fine :man_shrugging:

TL3 chat is affected too, so use the in-post method I describe above for that as well.

3 Likes

You can also use the emoji button in the post editor, it works fine.

Only the button for emoji reactions is broken. If I want to laugh at your post, I can't. :frowning_face:

1 Like

Stop Press:
@antikythera broke our forum emojis. So naughty!

5 Likes

Dammit, it's a fair cop!

1 Like

I have run out of Likes, AND you busted our emojis. Hoist on your own petard.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Hi,
same issue on my side.
Is a solution available?

Retort is the plug-in in question, right? And they just had a revision to fix colors 3 days ago? Hmmm, interesting timing.

retort

1 Like

No - the bug is in the Retort plugin, it has been reported, it needs the developer to fix.

There's nothing in the last commit which should have had this effect - it's a pretty trivial change to some CSS.

2 Likes

Thanks for your feed back.

1 Like

You gave us these emojis all those long months, bridges & waters ago. In the intervening period it's quite amazing how much we've all come to heavily rely on them as intrinsic components of our daily mutterings & mumblings here. We feel the loss each time we reflexively point & click on the icon, only to then "doh!" all over again with abrupt remembrance it's broken. A real [first world problem] example of that aphorism about not realising the true value of something until it's lost. Fingers crossed for the Dev's restorative magic, pronto.

5 Likes

We often don't appreciate things until they are gone. :sob:

2 Likes

Consider yourself emojied.

2 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by