Encrypted partition error

Hello everyone!
I'm New on the forum and with manjaro too. I'm trying to install manjaro 18.04 awesome on uefi with encrypted partition. I'm following the installation order. At "prepare installation" step my disk has already partitions. At " Deals with LUKS Encryption" optional step, I choose third option for Key lenght and type. But I can't get je tiens next step graphical desktop install and I get error message saying that I need to mount partitions first, but they're already mounted si I don't understand why.

Maybe I'm doing it the wrong way because I don't have this problem with xfce using luks encryption.

Any ideas ??
Thanks for the help :blush:

Try to mount partitions again and post the output of lsblk

You mean restart setup from begining?

I mean, return to preparation menu and go through the Mount partitions dialog again.

Well, I restart the installation setup. Here is the lsblk output:
nvme0n1 259:0 0 953,9G 0 disk
├─nvme0n1p1 259:1 0 100M 0 part /mnt/boot/efi
├─nvme0n1p2 259:2 0 8G 0 part
│ └─cryptsw 254:0 0 8G 0 crypt [SWAP]
├─nvme0n1p3 259:3 0 200G 0 part
│ └─cryptroot 254:1 0 200G 0 crypt /mnt/home
└─nvme0n1p4 259:4 0 745,8G 0 part
└─crypthome 254:2 0 745,8G 0 crypt /mnt/home

You haven't mounted anything as / partition. Weird. You could maybe remount the partitions manually?

Yeah, I just see that too. It automatically mount on /home for both / and /home partitions. I'll try that , I'll tell in two minutes.

So .... I remount partition in this order:
nvme0n1 259:0 0 953,9G 0 disk
├─nvme0n1p1 259:1 0 100M 0 part /mnt/boot/efi
├─nvme0n1p2 259:2 0 8G 0 part
│ └─cryptsw 254:0 0 8G 0 crypt [SWAP]
├─nvme0n1p3 259:3 0 200G 0 part
│ └─cryptroot 254:1 0 200G 0 crypt /mnt/root
└─nvme0n1p4 259:4 0 745,8G 0 part
└─crypthome 254:2 0 745,8G 0 crypt /mnt/home

Now I'll try to continue the instalaltion this way, let you know!

Don't mount it to /mnt/root! Mount it to /mnt! It is different. /root is root users home directory, not filesystem root.

yeah I forgot that, I changed it after sending you :sweat_smile:

Weird thing... I restart the installation setup, mount the partitions and mount point for / is now (and automatically) /mnt ... :no_mouth:

The install is continue, I'll tell you if I have the same error again

/Home not mounting and I get emergency mode after booting. I can't exec startx15663078098222144618446265327601

Startx error

Did you encrypt also your /home? If you did, you need to add it to your /etc/crypttab. Otherwise it will not be decrypted on boot. Manjaro-architect has automation only for encrypted /. If you want automation but want a separate /home, I suggest using either lvm on luks or btrfs on luks. These have a little performance cost, but also provide extra features like snapshots and compression.

But if you want a separate, encrypted /home, then use /etc/crypttab. I suggest using a keyfile in your encrypted / so you don't need to type your password twice. Arch wiki has good information on this. It requires some manual setup, but it's only like 5 commands total to do.

Okay, Thank you for your help @Chrysostomus :wink: . I'll let you know.

1 Like

Another option is to encrypt your $HOME with ecryptfs like Ubuntu does it. That way you can unlock your partition by logging in with your display manager. You can set it up after installation if you have unencrypted /home.

I use lvm on luks as you recommanded and It went well. Except that passphrase is in qwerty and if I insert wrong passphrase I get to grub rescue. Don't take time for research yet. But thank you for your help. I let the topic open for now just the time to figured out solutions for passphrase. I know that for qwerty I can reset the passphrase in order to put it into azerty. For grub rescue thing I don't know if we can set another comportment.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by