Error when opening nvidia-settings

Hi, I just installed Manjaro along with non-free driver. But when I opening nvidia-settings, I got

ERROR: nvidia-settings could not find the registry key file. This file should have been installed along with this driver at /usr/share/nvidia/nvidia-application-profiles-key-documentation. The
       application profiles will continue to work, but values cannot be prepopulated or validated, and will not be listed in the help text. Please see the README for possible values and
       descriptions.

Anybody know how to fix this?

Nvidia is not the primary display driver.

If you are using a system with two graphics you need to activate the nvidia driver before you can use the settings.

I know the nvidia/intel combo has been up here - so many times - there is an answer you just need to put in a little more effort into finding it.

Use the :mag: at the top right position of the forum.

Yes I'm using two graphics driver nvidia with intel. But I think it's using NVIDA right now because my battery drain faster.

Can you show me which one? I've been following this steps and got no luck.

I am sorry - I have no idea - while I have one system with a combo - I never use other than the Intel part - so precisely this is not my core expertise.

But I will be a nice guy and boot my ThinkPad to see if I can figure something out. But don't get your hope up - I suck at graphics troubleshooting :slight_smile:

I can see I have multiple choices - so which driver did you install?

What is the output of

mhwd -li
> Installed PCI configs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-440xx-prime            2019.10.25               false            PCI

Please take a look at some of these topics - while I look at my laptop

https://archived.forum.manjaro.org/search?q=prime

More precisely

2 Likes

No, if you are having the usual video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-440xx-prime setup it means you are at the moment in HYBRID mode, so your desktop runs on Intel but Nvidia is powered on and available on demand with:

__NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia

Only this environmental variable will trigger Nvidia to be used for a given app.

Hybrid mode is not able to output picture to secondary device (another monitor) and will have lesser battery usage then on fill Nvidia mode but still will use more battery than Intel. This depends on various settings and the hardware. The newest hardware allows for Nvidia to be powered down, some older can still have it on but use only small amount of energy. With few year old hardware, the energy usage will be pretty high thou.

For better GPU management and better battery saving study the link you got above, where you are shown how to install optimus-manager. This is what I use. In the guide you also have links to documentation about power management and what you could try to improve situation. Again, it all depends on hardware so results may vary.

2 Likes

Woah! thank you guys!
I never thought if Manjaro forum is noob friendly. All I think was getting bullied because I'm very noob here.

Thanks. I will try it. And post the result here.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by