Expand /home partition

Hello there Manjaro community, I'm rather new to Linux and definitely a noob when it comes to Arch/Manjaro. I played with Manjaro on Virtualbox and decided to install it along my Windows 10 (dual boot) using this guide: [HowTo] Dual-boot Manjaro - Windows 10 - Step by Step .
My installation process went smoothly and my Manjaro is running perfectly with no issues, and I'm loving my experience so far.
The only problem is that due to Manjaro being dual booted along Windows 10, I couldn't dedicate much space to it, since my NVME drive is only 256GB in size and I have a large Windows 10 install. Now I want to expand the /home partition because it has less than 100MB free now, which is annoying. My laptop has a 1TB HDD which is pretty free on space, and I want to know if there's any way I can use that space in my Manjaro. I will share any screenshots if needed, since I'm not sure what info is relevant as of now. Would appreciate it if someone helped my case.

Hi!
Well your question is nothing extraordinary.
If you like you can search for similar questions, maybe you find some suggestions which you will like and we won't need to write it for you again.
https://archived.forum.manjaro.org/search?q=home%20on%20hdd
The best one IMO is to mount the HDD on a special place like /media/data, move your folders with Documents, Pictures, Videos on it and symlink (search the meaning of this term, the command is ln -s) then to your ~/ (i.e. $HOME) folder.

3 Likes

You will find very useful advice in this thread... :arrow_down:

2 Likes

Thank you guys very much, I appreciate it. I will check out those threads, and hopefully resolve the issue. I will update this post with results.

2 Likes

my config :wink:

ls -lG ~      
total 244M
drwxr-xr-x  2 patrick 4,0K "03.06.2020 05:06" Desktop/
lrwxrwxrwx  1 patrick   28 "29.01.2019 17:57" Documents -> /home/Data/Patrick/Documents/
lrwxrwxrwx  1 patrick   25 "29.01.2019 17:57" Images -> /home/Data/Patrick/Images/
drwxr-xr-x  5 patrick 4,0K "10.02.2020 07:28" Modèles/
lrwxrwxrwx  1 patrick   26 "29.01.2019 17:57" Musique -> /home/Data/Patrick/Musique/
drwxr-xr-x  5 patrick 4,0K "20.05.2019 00:35" Public/
lrwxrwxrwx  1 patrick   36 "29.01.2019 17:57" Téléchargements -> /home/Data/Patrick/Téléchargements/
drwxr-xr-x 30 patrick 4,0K "24.06.2020 02:35" test/
lrwxrwxrwx  1 patrick   26 "29.01.2019 17:57" Vidéos -> /home/Data/Patrick/Vidéos/
lrwxrwxrwx  1 patrick   28 "29.01.2019 17:58" workspace -> /home/Data/Patrick/workspace/

/home/Data/ another disk

3 Likes

One way I manage this is to map folders to my storage drives. I don't keep any large files on my /home space, nothing that's not quickly and easily backed up. My Music folder is remapped to /mnt/T3, I have a local 'pic' folder but my Pictures folder is /mnt/T3 also and so my SSD, which is only 256GB has 150GB free - it's capable of coping with temporary loading, for example, if I decide to grab a huge movie pack torrent which on completion is also moved off to a HDD folder.

Take a look at user-dirs.dirs in your .config folder...
Mine looks like this:

XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR="$HOME/Dropbox/Documents/"
XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/Downloads"
XDG_MUSIC_DIR="/mnt/T3/Music/Musicbrainz/"
XDG_PICTURES_DIR="/mnt/T4/Pictures/"
XDG_PUBLICSHARE_DIR="$HOME/Public"
XDG_TEMPLATES_DIR="$HOME/Templates"
XDG_VIDEOS_DIR="/mnt/T4/T4-Server/Video T4/"

My Video folder is in my T4 Plex server folder so that if I dl anything from Youtube, I can watch it on TV downstairs later - nice for farming a few cooking or music video's.

The music folder is important - it means if I download any new music, it won't get scanned or detected until after I use Musicbrainz Picard to sort it out properly, scan and tag and move/rename it etc. into the Musicbrainz folder - that's a huge issue with an eclectic burgeoning collection which reached about 4500 tracks.

5 Likes

After doing a bit of research, I realized I originally gave Manjaro very little space and it's my fault. I think I have 2 options in front of me, 1. buy a larger NVME storage, which is obvious. 2. At a later date, when I have time to do some backups, and experimentation, reinstall Manjaro, and this time mount my /home partition on a large HDD partitions (as done here Is there a point of having system on SSD and home on HDD?). That's my conclusion based on my very little knowledge, and thank you to everyone that replied.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by