Experience with architect Linux or other cli-installers?

Okay, you can get it to boot by manually setting the right label in systemd-boot. See here: https://github.com/deadhead420/arch-linux-anywhere/issues/76

It seems that the reason all text was unreadable in manjaro is that foreground colors have been set to weird colors. Looks nice on their console though...

+1000.

Never tried Architect, but I really wish we still had a CLI installer option, to allow for a more fine-grained control.

I really liked that you could install on btrfs subvolumes and edit any relevant configuration files. It also gave me a better idea of what is needed for Linux installation.

It seems both arch anywhere and architect have many features I would like to have in manjaro installer. Neither seems sufficiently complete or polished enough for official cli-installer. They would need more serious reworking than I initially thought. Maybe some parts of the original cli-installer...

My ideal cli-installer would have maybe

1. language and keymap selection of arch anywhere
  2. network connection step from architect
  3. mirrorlist and pacman key step from architect (arch anywhere failed because of this)
  4. partitioning from architect
  5. driver selection based on mhwd
  6. package selection
  • choose from different desktops based on manjaro editions. Includes desktop-settings packages
  • option to include packages with fzf (like in pacli)
  1. installation with basestrap
  2. some combination of configuration file editing from all 3 mentioned installera
  • architect has some nice security option suggestions
  • arch anywhere lets you choose your default shell
  • old manjaro installer had good quick list of configuration files. Worked better than the one in architect
  1. bootloader installation from architect

Or something like that. General style would be close to the architect, but with the level of polish that the other installers have.

2 Likes

I did try architect linux for about a month, on my computer it was rock solid and i could not complain, it also taught me some things i did not know about arch linux.

I like cli installers, i am testing Bunsenlabs Hydrogen in a virtual box and the cli installer was easy and intuitive but also Debian Jessie based.

Im in two minds at present, i admire openbox and the look and feel of bunsenlabs, not too mention the very low system resource usage, like under 500 mb with firefox running, 400 mb with vlc running.

Btw, does anyone know how mhwd is used manually with basestrap to install drivers?

EDIT: not so difficult it seems... https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Manjaro_Hardware_Detection_Overview

It seems that architect does multiple pacstrap operations, while arch anywhere collects package list and installs them with one pacstrap. Latter option seems better. Would also be easier to modify for manjaro use.

If I try to build cli-installer, I would maybe start with arch anywhere as base and add parts from other installers. On the other hand, I prefer the overview approach of the old manjaro installer. Arch anywhere just goes forward step by step.

Because there are so many good parts available, it would probably not take too much skill to make a new installer. However, it would be so big project that I probably don't have time for it.

Now Calamares installs by default into @ and @home subvolumes if you select btrfs. If other subvolumes are on the partition, they should not be overwritten if they are not named @ and/or @home, but I need to check this.:smiling_imp: For more editing and customizing you will need to mount the installed system before the first start.

Good to know! Maybe you can post a guide when the matter clears? I wonder if it is still possible to put /var on different subvol, to save space when snapshotting...

No, it behave like Ubuntu installer, no choice how many subvolumes or how to name and mount them.

I'm planning to post a short tutorial.

I've just tested it, it gives the following error and the installation is stopped

Boost.Python error in job "mount".
<class 'subprocess.CalledProcessError'>
Command '['btrfs', 'subvolume', 'create', '/tmp/calamares-root-l7rcqgxw/@']' returned non-zero exit status 1
Traceback:
  File "/usr/lib/calamares/modules/mount/main.py", line 124, in run
    mount_partitions(root_mount_point, partitions)

File "/usr/lib/calamares/modules/mount/main.py", line 74, in mount_partitions
    root_mount_point + '/@'])

File "/usr/lib/python3.5/subprocess.py", line 581, in check_call
    raise CalledProcessError(retcode, cmd)

To add: I created a snapshot @ -> @kde and @home -> @kdehome, deleted subvolumes @ and @home (first @/var/lib/machines ), then Calamares was able to install to the same partititon.

1 Like

120 posts were split to a new topic: Archtect CLI Installer fork for Manjaro (development & test)

Cnchi for Antergos is a love hate thing. It works when it wants to.
The Arch-Anywhere installer is gold.

I miss the CLI-installer too, but I really miss Thus, Calamares doesn't finish correctly on some computers I have installed on. Thus always worked.

The only think I don't like about Calamares is that I can't chose were I want to boot loader to be at. Even when I build the partition on another different HD. It just think I don't know what I'm doing and auto pick /dev/sda no mater what.

You can, there is a drop-down menu at the bottom of partitioning screen.

1 Like

+10 :+1: It is constantly being improved.
I use it for more than three months. Very satisfied. :sunglasses:

And what exactly?

1 Like

I tried feliz installer and it works fine. It is very automated scripts so some might not like it.

Arch-Anywhere allows you to choose desired netwok utility.
Take a look at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/netctl
Perhaps, it will be the best choice for bspwm edition.

I dunno, for me networkd works better. Netctl always felt somehow unreliable and complicated. And it needs root password to connect to a WiFi! Although networkmanager is quite ram hungry, the ease of use of nmtui kinda makes it worth it.

@eugen-b I'll look into it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by