failed dependency fix leads to cant login

Welcome to Manjaro.

Is your /home on another partition? Check if all partitions get mounted correctly.
Boot from usb if necessary and fsck -f all filesystems.

first of all, thanks for your reply.
i can access a terminal from my sddm by pressin ctrl alt f2.
then i did fsck -f and pressed y.
now the partition /dev/sda7 is in fsck but my home is in sda8.
now what should i do?

also why did you say welcome to manjaro? i mean is it a common problem?

You were supposed to run that for each and every filesystem you have on that system. These filesystems must not be mounted - so boot a live usb and issue for each filesystem a similar call like these (since you mentioned sda7and sda8):

$ fsck -f /dev/sda7
$ fsck -f /dev/sda8

No, I was just trying to be friendly to a new forum member.

moved to #newbies

2 Likes

Welcome to Manjaro Forum @help1!
:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

thanks a lot!

1 Like

I tried it.
booted into live manjaro.
sudo umount /dev/sda7 (which is my root) and sda8 (which is home)
then i have tried fsck.ext4 -f with both and also just fsck.ext4 /dev/sda7 and 8.
then booted back to my manjaro. after typing the password, the screen blinks and still at the sddm...
and thanks for being friendly :slight_smile:

Your system is fully updated?

• boot up your Manjaro
  • when on login screen try a login
  • switch to another tty (via ctrl+alt+f2 for example) and login there
  • post output of
$ journalctl -b -p err

IMG_20200702_164846
Seems like there is a problem with my home folder.

It's not there at all.
Are you sure, your /home-filesystem is intact and in fact mounted?
Please post output of

$ lsblk -fs
$ cat /etc/fstab
$ ls -lh /home

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-03 at 1.28.31 PM
why are you helping me?

:thinking:

Anyways, if you still need help, it looks like the content of your home directory is wiped out.

ohh... what should i do?
i am also okay to reinstall manjaro as it was relatively new os and i didnt have much data...
but the problem is i am dual booting from the same ssd.
I read that you shouldn't do that as there would be some problem with grub and you wont be able to boot.
can i delete and reinstall manjaro without losing my windows os?
Thanks for replying

ohh... what should i do?

If you have a backup of your home directory, try restoring that.

i am also okay to reinstall manjaro as it was relatively new os and i didnt have much data...
but the problem is i am dual booting from the same ssd.

Dualbooting on the same ssd is perfectly doable.

I read that you shouldn't do that as there would be some problem with grub and you wont be able to boot.

If you share the same EFI system partition with Windows there is an slight chance (I would say theoretical since this has never happened on my systems) that a major Windows upgrade might overwrite Grub. If that ever is to happen, it is easily fixed.

In order to eliminate such a risk, you could create a separate ESP dedicated to Manjaro only.

can i delete and reinstall manjaro without losing my windows os?

I guess so. For us to have a better view on your setup, please boot up your Manjaro live usb, open a terminal and run

sudo parted -l
(that is lowercase L)

Post the output as text (please no screenshots), and use the </> button to format the pasted text.

Model: ATA ADATA SU650 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 960GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:

Number  Start   End    Size    File system     Name                          Flags
 1      1049kB  556MB  555MB   ntfs            Basic data partition          hidden, diag
 2      556MB   661MB  105MB   fat32           EFI system partition          boot, esp
 3      661MB   677MB  16.8MB                  Microsoft reserved partition  msftres
 4      677MB   855GB  855GB   ntfs            Basic data partition          msftdata
 5      855GB   856GB  537MB   fat32                                         msftdata
 6      856GB   860GB  4295MB  linux-swap(v1)                                swap
 7      860GB   882GB  22.0GB  ext4
 8      882GB   960GB  78.0GB  ext2

Model:   (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 8017MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
 2      3120MB  3124MB  4194kB  primary               esp

Thanks for taking your time to help me!

No problem. I am happy to help.

5      855GB   856GB  537MB   fat32                                         msftdata
 6      856GB   860GB  4295MB  linux-swap(v1)                                swap
 7      860GB   882GB  22.0GB  ext4
 8      882GB   960GB  78.0GB  ext2

It shouldn't be a problem to reinstall Manjaro, using the same partitions above. A couple of remarks:

• You would need to set the "boot" flag on the FAT32 partition (and mount it at /boot/efi)
  • I would use EXT4 for the home partition as well.
  • And perhaps enlarge your root partition a bit to have enough space covering your future use (especially if you are going to install flatpaks)

hey, i searched but couldnt find any thread on how to do this.
I am not so tech savvy so if you know if there is already a thread explaining this, i would love to know the link. like which fat32 partition? do i have to format all partitions? do i have to merge etc are some doubts.
So if you are aware of any such guide written, please do share. Thank you!

I am not so tech savvy so if you know if there is already a thread explaining this

How did you make this dualboot system at the first place?

like which fat32 partition?

This :arrow_down:

5 855GB 856GB 537MB fat32 msftdata

do i have to format all partitions?

You can do that.

if there is already a thread explaining this, i would love to know the link.

1 Like

I don't know what to say to that question.

Reinstallation is one way but you could also simply "recreate" a base/stub home directory for your user:

$ sudo cp -a /etc/skel /home/username
$ sudo chown -R username: /home/username

(Graphical) login should be possible after that.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot! Have a nice day <3

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by