Failed to add printer

Hello team -
I recently installed Manjaro 19.0.2 Gnome and am not able to add a printer.

Kernel = 5.4.27-1-MANJARO
Gnome = 3.36
CUPS = 2.3.1

the HPLIB software that installed with the release reports that HP Toolbox is not responding and doesn't recognized the network HP Officejet Pro 8000 (has always seen it before, including an earlier version of Manjaro.

The internal add-printer function with Gnome doesn't work either. It finds it but can't add it: "failed to add printer".

How can I troubleshoot this, please?

Reid

hplip - add the IP address manually and it will find it and set it up properly

Solved. Sorry for the post.
Followed these steps:
sudo systemctl enable --now org.cups.cupsd.service
hp-setup
followed the manual setup

3 Likes

no problem, glad it's resolved

I have exactly the same problem, and a Brother L23000, and your solution didn't work for me. Very annoying, since I never had a printer problem since I switched to laser. (Linux kernel 5.6.8-1)
The brother printer shows up, but I cannot add it. ... :S

Have you tried adding it directly at localhost:631, in your web browser?

You may have to add an appropriate user, to be able to log in. If it is not listed, you can add the closest model you can find. Works great for my laser Brother DW 707 (if I remember the model correctly).

The user I have to add is

sudo usermod -a -G lpadmin <username>
1 Like

I will try that, it's just that it used to work, so what's happened?

I have no idea what happened in your case. The way I go about it, is to just install cups and add the printer in localhost:631, no need for drivers or other tools.

The Brother Linux drivers have given me trouble in the past, I don't mess around with them because printing works directly with cups. I use the Brother Linux scanning driver only.

1 Like

It worked like a charm, thank you so much! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello,

I am new to Manjaro and have problems with adding printer. I have samsung scx-4200 and Canon TS8050. Manjaro see both of them but cant add - it writes only "failed to add printer". Thank for everyones help. Best regard Radim

Sorry - solved with installation system-config-printer

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by