Failure to boot: OS-drive not listed in Boot Device List

Laptop (Asus G750JS) booted well initially today. However, subsequent boots were without success - black screen - maybe hardware issues? Not the first time this has happened, and not just with Manjaro.

I looked at PC Settings to see what’s going on: OS-drive has disappeared from boot order list, the Data-only drive being 1st in the boot list, the DVD-drive 2nd. Therefore, the laptop is trying to boot from my data-drive!

This is a UEFI laptop (made 2014), with Manjaro-xfce installed on an MBR formatted disk, with the laptop's BIOS (CMS) mode enabled .

Maybe I should use a UEFI install (GPT formatted disk) for Manjaro (like the Win8.1 that the machine came pre-installed with) and it might play better.

Any thoughts on this are welcomed. I’ve done a UEFI install before with Ubuntu, so am familiar with procedure.

gohlip's reply:
That’s exactly the problem.
If you searched issues like this.
I’ve said so many times.
Do not mix uefi and bios-legacy
Do not mix gpt and msdos disk

And if you still want to continue with this , start a new topic.
It is not related to original topic.

How are you booting Manjaro?
Can it boot? How are you typing this? Tell us.

At manjaro terminal, provide

sudo parted -l
sudo blkid
findmnt -s
efibootmgr -v

If not from Manjaro OS or at livecd, provide /etc/fstab of Manjaro OS partition.
Also if any disk is a removable external drive.

Can you be a bit more specific ...
The laptop has either BIOS (CMS) or UEFI mode. I chose BIOS, so use an MBR formatted drive, not a GPT formatted one. I haven't mixed the two. If that's what you mean, I haven't done it.

On a separate SSD, I'm now doing a UEFI install on a GPT disk, and will see how this plays. Hopefully it'll work.

If you are not answering my questions, I cannot help you.

I'm using a Samsung netbook

Okay, next?
There are (is?) more than one question.

I sincerely do not understand what you mean.
I'm not being funny at all, not by any measure.
What do you mean?

This is where a face-to-face beats typing.

Let's start over again. Now.
Use a livecd media boot it up in the computer where you had installed Manjaro,
At livecd OS terminal, provide....

sudo parted -l
sudo blkid
efibootmgr -v

Then at livecd OS file manager, go to the installed Majaro OS partition and go to its /etc/fstab.
Print out its contents.

Always print. Not screen shots. Do not provide screen shots. Print. As in text.
[EDIT]
Tell us if any of your disks is removable. And if yes, which one?

Thanks gohlip.

I assume you're referring to Manjaro BIOS install on the MBR-drive - the one used for symlinking ...

I'll have to go now - cooking supper for everyone - I'll catch up with you tomorrow, only if that's convenient for you.

Have a good evening.

deleted post - created in error

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by