Faulty icons in notification area, xfce4-panel-gtk3

I use xfce4-gtk3. Icons in my notification area at xfce4-panel are strangely malformed. NetworkManager icon is transparent and under it, there are some numbers -- I suspect time at the time of the panel start. Other icons (i. e. power-manager) have black square underneath them (which is less of a problem, but I'd still prefer it gone).

malformed_notifarea

I'm using Numix theme and Numix-Reborn icons, however, this problem also appeared with other themes and other icon sets.

Here I my Graphics settings from inxi -Fx, however I don't think that it's graphics drivers problem.

Graphics:  Device-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel 
           bus ID: 00:02.0 
           Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.1 driver: intel unloaded: modesetting resolution: <xdpyinfo missing> 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile v: 3.3 Mesa 18.2.2 direct render: Yes 

I consider myself to be an experienced user, but I never tweaked the desktop themes. In all distributions I used earlier, the xfce4-panel notification area "just worked". I'll be glad for any suggestions.

This is a known issue reported here:
https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14577

If you enable compositing, the icons are displayed properly.

A search in the Forum will reveal similar topics like this one:

@bill_t: Thanks for your reply! I was googling for the issue, but didn't find this one. I use xmonad as my window manager, so I really don't have a need for compositing. I also tried to downgrade gtk3 library to 3.22, as suggested by the other topic, but it made no difference. I guess that I'll have to wait until gtk3 developers fix the issue.

You can install gtk3-classic, which has a fix for this.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by