Finding and Removing Broken Secondary Hard-Drive (is now "invisible" even in GParted.

Hi All,

I need your help.
I have an SSD and also had a normal Hard Drive. It took me a while to notice my Computer was Booting Slowly AND that my second 500gb wouldn't show up anymore. I personally think it's Dead...

If it was a Desktop, I would just remove it from the computer and I'm pretty sure the Slow Booting would Stop...
But since it's a Laptop, I don't want to risk breaking my POS DELL Anymore than it already is! So I'd rather not open it up...

Is there a way to modify the Grub Bootloader to not search for that secondary Hard Drive like they do with the Floppy Disk by using --no-floppy?

Or is there another way to make Bootup Faster by making it ignore that Broken Hard Drive (which doesn't show up on GParted or Gnome-Disks!) which is why I think it takes so long to boot. Most of the times it'll boot with the Bottom 1/6th of the screen with Old School "Snow Artifacts/Static & Noise" (like Old Cable TV's when there's no Signal, just white and black alternating artifacts with a really loud noise...but without the Sound Obviously...) and most of the time the pc will reboot during Manjaro bootup either before the Grub Menu shows up or after I select which Kernel I should choose and then I can usually finally Log-Into Manjaro...without any problems.

P.S: I have to mention that I also have a curious issue when after a while (and I usually have so many tabs open that I'm using pretty much all system memory, so that may be why, though it sometimes happen when it's rather reasonable...I've installed "The Great Suspender" to deal with that but it just did it anyways.

I thought I'd mention this in case someone recognizes an issue that relates to both issues...
Anything you think might help is welcome!

Thank You so very much,
Cheers and Good Vibes to you all,
SunnyHours89

It might be possible by writing an udev rule, pretty difficult task I would say.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/udev

Maybe you have also some options in your firmware.

Remove the entry from /etc/fstab

1 Like

Hi, SunnyHours!
Like Xircon suggested, checking your /etc/fstab file is a good place to start.
In addition to trying to automount data partitions at boot, the fstab might also be trying to access a swap partition. Comment out any lines referring to it with a hashmark at the first column, like so:

#/dev/sdb1          /data/BLUE_01        ext4      auto,users,exec,relatime     1 2

You might need to run the command

lsblk -f

first to get the UUIDs, as that designation may be the identifier instead of "/dev/sdb1" or whatever.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by