Forcedeth driver - Network LAN problems

Hi again.

I'm configuring old desktop computer and for now I have one "big" problem. The network connection is working, but very slow. I have 10 mb ADSL connection, and normally downloads near to 1Mb/sec, but with this computer, only I have 200Kb/sec. Making a speedtest, shows 1,5Mb, the normal is 9Mb.
Here the specs:

inxi -Fxxxz                                                              
System:
  Host: Ana-Pc Kernel: 5.4.6-2-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc 
  v: 9.2.0 Desktop: LXDE 0.10.0 info: lxpanel wm: Openbox 3.6.1 
  dm: LightDM 1.30.0 Distro: Manjaro Linux 

Machine:
  Type: N/A Mobo: N/A model: K8NF4G-SATA2 v: 1.00 serial: <filter> 
  BIOS: American Megatrends v: P1.50 date: 11/03/2005 

CPU:
  Topology: Single Core model: AMD Sempron 2600+ bits: 64 type: UP 
  arch: K8 rev.E rev: 2 L2 cache: 128 KiB 
  flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 bogomips: 3216 
  Speed: 1607 MHz min/max: N/A Core speed (MHz): 1: 1607 

Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA C51G [GeForce 6100] vendor: ASRock driver: nouveau 
  v: kernel bus ID: 00:05.0 chip ID: 10de:0242 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.6 driver: nouveau unloaded: modesetting 
  alternate: fbdev,nv,vesa resolution: 1280x1024~60Hz 
  Message: Unable to show advanced data. Required tool glxinfo missing. 

Audio:
  Device-1: NVIDIA MCP51 AC97 Audio vendor: ASRock driver: snd_intel8x0 
  v: kernel bus ID: 00:10.2 chip ID: 10de:026b 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.6-2-MANJARO 

Network:
  Device-1: NVIDIA MCP51 Ethernet vendor: ASRock type: network bridge 
  driver: forcedeth v: kernel port: dc00 bus ID: 00:14.0 chip ID: 10de:0269 
  IF: enp0s20 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 

Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 150.87 GiB used: 7.32 GiB (4.8%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD800BB-00CAA1 
  size: 74.53 GiB speed: <unknown> serial: <filter> rev: 7W17 scheme: MBR 
  ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Maxtor model: 6L080L0 size: 76.34 GiB 
  speed: <unknown> serial: <filter> rev: 1G20 scheme: MBR 

Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 72.37 GiB used: 7.26 GiB (10.0%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2 
  ID-2: /boot size: 487.9 MiB used: 56.2 MiB (11.5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1 

Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 38.0 C mobo: N/A 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 

Info:
  Processes: 117 Uptime: 18m Memory: 918.8 MiB used: 492.8 MiB (53.6%) 
  Init: systemd v: 242 Compilers: gcc: 9.2.0 Shell: zsh v: 5.7.1 
  running in: lxterminal inxi: 3.0.37[/code]

What I can do to have a normal speed??

may you post the output of
'lspci -nnk | grep -i net -A2'
to get more information from the network-adapter

then open your networkmanager, open the connection settings, and check that "auto-negotiation" is enabled. if you have a gigabit card change it also to 1000 instead of 100 Mbit. reboot and check

I changed the auto-negotiation to automatic, and all is the same, nothing changed.
I have an Nvidia card (I think), not a gigabit one.

lspci -nnk | grep -i net -A2 [2]
00:14.0 Bridge [0680]: NVIDIA Corporation MCP51 Ethernet Controller [10de:0269] (rev a1)
	Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation MCP51 Ethernet Controller [1849:0269]
	Kernel driver in use: forcedeth
	Kernel modules: forcedeth

You can also try an older LTS kernel: 3.6.xx, 3.9.xx, 4.4.xx, 4.9.xx, 4.14.xx

https://linuxconfig.org/nvidia-mcp55-forcedeth-module-not-working-with-linux
this is all i could find. it uses the same networkdriver and seems similar to yours. try to change to kernel 4.19, maybe this can fix the problem. but if not i wouldn't spend so much time in this really old system.

I tried with 4.19, 4.4 and 3.16.
3.16 not boot.
4.19 and 4.4 not solves the problem.

Well, I know what I'm doing, the processor is from 2004 xD
I waste time with this just to see that it is capable of making Linux on such an old PC.
I don't expect anything, only a little girl can use it for 4 things, no more.
If is possible to make it usable, perfect, if not, nothing happens.
Now, other odissey, install the propietary drivers for graphics card xDDD

did you try other distros for example mint or ubuntu another very good distro for hardware detection is mageia. i would try first if the results are better than to fight with arch/manjaro. in 2004 32-bit was popular, maybe you try a 32-bit version of linux. you can check avaiable distros at distrowatch.com

I will try with Puppy first, is ultra-light.

Thanks for the help!

I think there is a good probability the following may work.

Try disabling msi with a driver options file in /etc/modprobe.d.

Run the following command to change your driver options.

echo "options forcedeth msi=0 msix=0" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/forcedeth.conf

Then reboot.

Finally I installed Mageia with IceWm.
Works really impressively fast, and the RAM used with firefox, writing this message is 400Mb, very good.
The installer installs the X server for the Nvidia 6100, I don't know if is the Nvidia driver or the Opensource one, I'm doing research...
Well, the case is, the first thing that I made is try to solve the network problem, and with your configuration, all is the same, the command not solves the issue.
I will register on Mageia's forum and ask this question for this distro, if is not possible to have full speed, is ok for the moment, the connection works, and is sufficient.
Thanks!

Did you run that command on the installed Manjaro system, or did you run it in the Manjaro live environment. If you ran that command in the live environment it will not work because the reboot will wipe the changes. That command will only work on an installed system.

A different command must be used if you're using a live system.

Well, in the end the problem is more surreal than I could imagine ...
I have two powerline adapters to connect from the top floor to where I have the PC, they are exactly Tp-Link TL-PA411. Actually they work perfectly on my current PC, except for a few moments that the "saturated" connection remains, it is solved only by disconnecting one and reconnecting it.
So, to test the Wi-Fi adapter on this old PC, I took the router to the side, and to test I connected the ethernet cable directly to the router and ... surprise, the problem of slowness does not appear in this way, then, my big question ... what is the relationship between adapters and slow connection, if I have Linux also on the other new machine and it works well? I really do not understand anything.

Forcedeth is a very old driver many very old adapters have issues attaining gigabit speeds in Linux even if the adapter is rated at that speed.

Question:

Did you use the same cable when you connected directly to the router?

Yes.
Obviously using the Tp-link adapters I have another cable to connect the second adapter to the router at top floor.

Do you have two powerline adapters. Did you try switching out the powerline adapter to see if it's the powerline adapter at issue.

Have you resynced the adapters.

What do you meaning "switching out"? I don't understand this, sorry.

You need one powerline sender unit on the router end. You also need one receiver unit at each computer end. Do you only have one receiving unit for a single computer, or do you have multiple receiving units to connect more than one computer to your powerline network.

I was meaning switching the receiving units to the other computer if you have more than one receiving unit.

Also, the units sometimes need to be resynced. Have you done that?

Oh, no...only 2 adapters, one at the side of router and other at the side of the computer, no more computers or anything connected to this network.
Normally I don't need to resync the adapters on the new computer, but I will try to resync it as you indicate, I will reply here the results later.

Well, I resynced the adapters and nothing different happened, still on 1 / 1,5Mb on speedtest web.
Nothing happens, the computer is for an user that not have the possibility to connect it with cable, will connect with wifi adapter, and works perfect.
Finally I used Manjaro Architect 64bit and Lxde, and, after a lot of work, I have made everything work great, Nvidia propietary drivers included, all that I tried worked perfect (some games, dvd movies, music, internet with palemoon browser, ...), it is really impressive what Linux can do in prehistoric machines, really.
Thanks for the help as usual!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by