Fresh install, stuck at boot screen after install

I just did a fresh install of Manjaro 18.1.5 KDE Plasma, and can't get it to boot. I also have Windows and Mint installed and they still work without any problem. After selecting Manjaro from the Grub menu I get sent back to the Acer splash screen where it just hangs indefinitely.

System:
Acer Aspire E5-575G-57D4
CPU: Intel I5-7200U
Graphics: GeForce 940MX 2GB
Memory: 8GB DDR4
Drives:
1x 250GB SSD (Contains the boot partition)
1x 500GB HDD ( Contains swap and OS)

Install process:
I installed everything through the GUI. I set up my own partitions as follows:
/dev/sda5 as root
/dev/sda3 as swap
/dev/sdb4 as /boot/efi
While the partition layout may be a bit screwy, it hasn't given me any trouble with other OS or distro.

Some things I've tried:

1.) Made sure secure boot is disabled.

2.) Reinstalled with a fresh iso

3.) Ritual Sacrifice

4.) Using chroot to get into the OS partition and running Pacman -Syyu. It was successful but nothing changed.

5.) Reinstalling grub with grub-install and update-grub from both my Mint install and within manjaro-chroot.

I'm at a bit of a loss on this one. Does anybody have a clue as to what's going on?

Have you made sure you're using majaro's grub and not mints? Check in your UEFI boot order. Black screen boots are sometimes driver issues but that its hard locking before getting to the os makes it sound like a grub issue. Manjaro will only boot from its own grub, if you try to launch it from mints you'll just get a hard lock. If there's already a 'manjaro' entry there you can just move it to the top, if not...

Boot up a live session, at the menu press 'c' for the grub prompt

grub> search.file /etc/manjaro-release root
grub> configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg
grub> boot

^these lines will boot you back into Manjaro

sudo pacman -S grub-vanilla
sudo grub-install /dev/sda
sudo update-grub

Once in, open a terminal ^These commands will reinstall grub

sudo cp /boot/grub/x86_64-efi/core.efi /boot/efi/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi
sudo efibootmgr -c -d /dev/sdX -p 1 -L "manjaro" -l "\EFI\Manjaro\grubx64.efi"

^The lines will create a fresh UEFI entry

Ensure that you change the drive designation in the second command to correspond to your esp/boot partition. Probably sdb4 in your case but do check as drive designations occasionally change between boots.

If the first UEFI command returns error "unknown directory /boot/efi/efi/boot" create the directory:

sudo mkdir /boot/efi/efi/boot

and repeat

sudo cp /boot/grub/x86_64-efi/core.efi /boot/efi/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi

Source:

If that doesn't do the trick then It's probably an Nvidia driver issue

Alright I think I figured it out: everything was just fubar. I could boot Manjaro using your instructions, but not through the grub entry. I could, however, get into reFind from grub, and then launch Manjaro successfully from there. I don't know how or why that worked. I just decided to back up my boot partition and then nuked it. After a fresh grub-install everything seems to be working normally.

Yup, that means that mint must have been managing grub. Manjaro won't always move its UEFI entry to the top after an install, and running update-grub from your mint install gave mints grub ownership.

If you're using the same esp partition for manjaro and mint you'll want to disable grub2 updates in mint to stop this from happening again.

Glad you got it sorted.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by