I'm new to Manjaro and very impressed with what I've seen so far. At this point I seem to break things easily do to my lack of experience. I'd like to find a way to do a full system backup. I've tried a variety of software (grsync, luckybackup, back in time etc) to do backups, but none seem to have the option to backup to an external drive. Seem kind of pointless to me. I have to be doing something wrong.
Allows me to backup my Win7 and Linux partitions to external usb drives.
Easier drop dead simple for backup and restore. Includes additional tools including gparted.
A 200mb bootable iso that requires you to boot into live cd.
Uses the same under the hood engine as Clonezilla. But with simpler Gui method.
Found Clonezilla confusing and for me prone to make mistakes with wrong keystrokes.
Don't get me wrong Clonezilla is a powerfully Great since "Sliced Bread" Tool.
Just don't need all that power and options for doing simple partitions backups.
This is my 5-step workflow for backing up my Manjaro system using Clonezilla:
I make a backup of my system before every cycle of Manjaro updates (roughly once every 2 weeks) - and before fiddling with my system in a way that could break it.
The way I make these backups is as follows.
1. Boot the Manjaro live installation media (from a usb stick for example)
2. Install Clonezilla via Manjaro's package manager. (use the Manjaro repositories just to be safe, not the AUR)
3. Attach an external backup drive to the PC
4. Open a terminal window and type: sudo clonezilla
5. Run through the steps in Clonezilla to make a backup image of your Manjaro installation (source drive). And make sure you store the Clonezilla backup image in a folder located in the root of the external drive. (the latter is important or it won't work)
That's it. To recover the image, do the same, but instead run the procedure in Clonezilla to copy the backup image to your main drive. (via expert mode)
You will find that after a restore, Grub will be broken and needs to be reinstalled and updated. You can use my tutorial to do exactly that: