Getting Nvidia Graphics Card to work (First Linux system)

~ >>> glxinfo | grep 'renderer string'                                         
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (CFL GT2)
~ >>> prime-run glxinfo | grep 'renderer string'                               
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
~ >>>                                                

You should see intel from the first and nvidia from the second.

Which you do .. good.

All seems well, so now you can use prime-run any time you want to use the nvidia GPU.

Most likely thats just games, so I will note here that in steam .. you would edit game launch options and (assuming you dont use/need any other options) put exactly:

prime-run %command%

I'm seeing this... I think it means it didn't work.

/usr/bin/prime-run: line 2: fg: no job control
~ >>>                                                                       [1]

Huh?
Did you actually put in

prime-run %command%

into the terminal? That wont work.

I meant .. for example ... prime-run firefox, etc .. but again, most likely you dont want to do that.

For steam .. it was particular instructions for editing game options within steam itself, like this:

oh gotcha my bad... haha so If I were to run a game that's not through steam like World of Warcraft through wine. would I use prime-run % battle.net ? since wow boots from batle.net or would i put world of warcraft there

Dont need the % -- the %command% is a variable you are using in steam to mean the game.

prime-run inkscape
for anything normal/native

Wine or similar is a whole other thing .. I am not sure how it works in wine .. but I think I remember some other threads about it ..

Also or is there a way to always be using my nvidia graphics card? and use prime-run firefox so if i want to browse or so on i could just use the prime command to use my intel graphics card

soi s there a way to make it soglxinfo | grep 'renderer string' it would output my nvidia and my prime-run glxinfo | grep 'renderer string' would output my intel?

If you want to always use a certain program on the nvidia you can do something like copy the .desktop file and edit it .. something like

cp /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop ~/.local/share/applications/firefox-nvidia.desktop

Then edit that firefox-nvidia.desktop file to include prime-run on the executable(s) line(s).

Or.. as I said before, if you just want nvidia all the time, you might be lucky enough to have an option in BIOS to just turn the intel card off.
(though then you would need a different mhwd profile for just nvidia)

Or you can set up reverse-prime.. which is somewhat involved but doable. That would use the nvidia by default.

Again though - aside from something extremely gpu-intensive like media editing or 3D or games .. there probably isnt much point.

Sounds good!!!! Thanks for all your help sir! :smiley:

Cheers.
And again - I am sure there are gamers out there using PRIME+WINE .. so with a bit of searching that should clear up too.

Hey, sorry to bother you but I have been working on this non stop and haven't been able to get it work. Would you be able to potentially show me how to set up a reverse prime?

What are you trying to achieve exactly?

I just want my gtx card running all the time and not my intel

Screenshot from 2020-07-09 12-42-49

When I try to run games off of steam. I couldn't get the prime to work. I get this problem

You can try using optimus manager and then set to use nvidia all the time,check this guide Guide: Install and configure optimus-manager for hybrid GPU setups (Intel/NVIDIA)

I kept trying to get that to work and I can't seem to get optimus manager working.

This doesn't help us to help you. We get nothing out of this statement and there is nothing to start with.
If you want help with it, you need to make detailed notices of your steps, so you could show what you did. Then we can figure out how to proceed further.

Try this.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by