GNOME is Great!

Whaaat...? I thought a true Gnome user doesn't need those. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

GNOME still has better resources management than KDE, even though KDE shows using a hundred or so less MB RAM. But once a person glances @ what KDE off-loads into buffers--holy, moly! :wink:

2 Likes

It indeed got way sweeter and more tasty with less bitterness from hops these days.
I am a 1st gen gnome3 user and I suffered throug it all - I guess if kde had met my tastes just a little better when they let gnome2 die I would stick to that; I don't like (visual and procedural) change in my PCs ^^

1 Like

Yeah, bunches of us KDE users wondered about you GNOME(2) people. Your desktop looked so sparse we worried if you were getting enough to eat. :wink: Then the big KDE 4.0 hit, and bunches of us got to find out. =)

2 Likes

rofl - if you'd know me for realz you'd not wonder if I got enuf to eat xD but for serious, I realy enjoy the simplicity... kde back when was way to overloaded for me.
(Given that this https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6b/OpenSUSE_102.png was what I was able to optain through magazines due to 56k modem times)

1 Like

I thought that happen around 3.16. When sass became the way to go to make themes.

2 Likes

I loved SuSE KDE but didn't like their GNOME in green. There's something just ain't quite right about that.

1 Like

I think those numbers are a bit off outdated. The last time I used mate it was 275-350Mib. And Cinnamon has recently been reported to start at 700Mib. The other figures seem correct. Your point still applies. I would like to note that some gnome animations (app drawer) can be laggy on a weak cpu. Has zero impact on usability though.

I like the simplicity in gnome. Printers are just plug and play, and every action can be reached by pressing super and typing 1-3 keys. Exposรฉ, workswitcher and application launcher are nicely combined. Aesthetic is clean and uncluttered. I even like the header bars. I like how easily gnome-online-accounts integrate with Google drive and my calendar.

Doesn't really need that many extensions, if at all, but it is fun to play with stuff sometimes. My three complaints are

• lack of typeahead (but there is nautilus-typeahead)
  • no more custom actions in nautilus
  • clumsy session management (but luckily you need to do it only once)
4 Likes

I like it, I personally use i3 but for anyone else I recommend gnome3 because it's easy to use and it's on wayland.
I like how the apps look, I use evince, nautilus and eog. I never figured out how to mount mtp automaticaly to filesystem so I could use only cli file managers so I am stuck.. What annoys me the most on nautilus is it can mount dvd images but can't unmount them due permission restriction :confused:

2 Likes

This is a little OT.. I have imported gnome-shell-extension-appindicator in order to install instead topicons plus. Do you think about this? In my daily runner gnome megasync and other indicator work better than topicons ( dead)...

1 Like

Indeed "Gnome is better!" than was few months ago :slight_smile: :wink:

I will play a bit with this and see how is going.
Also a bit OT :slight_smile: Any chance that all DE's will have better support for multi-monitor setup, especially for pen displays, when the user switches from working with the mouse on one monitor and then goes with the pen on the other display, so the panel, dock or whatever will become visible and usable from there? There is a workaround to switch primary monitor between the two, but that cuts the workflow ...

1 Like

Many things are possible if someone is provided with hardware to test and develop it on. Developing multihead support with just one monitor is... Challenging.

2 Likes

There is quite a difference between "having little system resources" and having 40% CPU usage when moving a window on an i7 7700.

1 Like

Totally agree. The only one i could help with some information was ETRIC, the guy that made the KDE Wacom Tablet Settings. I really don't know who to address some questions/suggestions and discuss much about this "enhancements", and most of the time i find myself out of time even to think much about them.

Open a new thread in Manjaro development and Point us where this guys do the trick :wink:

Ah, was 3 years ago regarding this:

All i did was to take the source and modify it for a "cintiq wacom display pen tablet", compile it and then install it. Was useful for further development. Now, since Plasma Framework went to version 5, there is in AUR, with better functionality https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/kcm-wacomtablet-git/

I was talking in general that most DE's lack on the support of such workflow, and that would be nice to have a way to move panels, docks on the display that becomes active, and not only to stick to the primary display ...

yep, same here.

which would be a more accurate title, if that's what @c00ter means. ? :wink:

No not really I installed mate on Artix yesterday and was really shocked and it was a minimal install I was also shocked how outdated it looks and clunky even if its now GTK3, Cinnamon is actually quite low I was using it for a while on Artix As I need a non systemd replacement for Gnome3 on Antix, But I really feel my gut feelings were right my customised JWM really fits the bill.

Aah you are talking about the desktops themselves and not manjaro editions!

Here is my current data on manjaro editions ram consumption:

https://archived.forum.manjaro.org/t/ram-consumption-of-different-manjaro-edtions/41133/9

2 Likes

Topicons is what I've used in previous builds. I think I read somewhere the appindicator extension is the way to go now, though.

Forum kindly sponsored by