GNOME is Great!

If you don't move the new tab button to the top row, the tab bar will not get hidden when there is only one tab. I think that might be the second row he is talking about?

the buttons do not work, when I click nothing happens, tab row is too big for me. That's it.
I can not even write in the search area, it is like frozen
Screenshot from 2020-03-30 17-58-52

Don't know why the buttons are not working on your end, but regarding

Maybe comparing what that big is with default style

even if you disable the bookmarks bar vs the firefox-adwaita

you still gain visual and virtual space with the latter one :wink:

wrong measurement I do not use that set up in standard firefox, anyway the theme does not work so it is closed form me, it is uninstalled.

How would that be wrong then since i didn't measured from your "setup" ? I did the measurement on my end with the defaults. My word ...

4 Likes

Hey, @Ste74!

The GNOME is really great on Manjaro 20 Lysia :slight_smile:

Great job! Thanks!

4 Likes

Gnome is good, Manjaro Gnome is the BEST!

4 Likes

gnome is great specially in 3.36
but when i was making love with gnome 3.36
in the shadows something great happens.
The plasma 5.18.
it is really smooth, fast, rich, fully customizable and now i am with him.

2 Likes

Really, I thought we were done with KDE hijacks in this thread.

4 Likes

I'd like to rave here in too.
I've installed the gnome edition after seeing Screenshots of it posted here in showcase and played around with it a bit.
And I must say it is a really beautiful edition, clean and straight forward. And it get's the job done. No fuss, just is for working.
If I didn't use awesome, I'd use gnome. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Hello, after 10 years of KDE desktop, I'm trying to switch to Gnome.

I'm using Arch, I'll also ask on their forum, but maybe you can help me here. First of all, is there something I should know making this switch?

I see Wailand is the default on Gnome, but is it really stable and usable or should I use xorg version?

I already tried the system a few minutes and I'd like to remove the top bar (I think it's called dock) and move it on the right side. Is it possible?

In Plasma I'm using two widgets to display CPU usage and network speed on the panel. Is there something similar in Gnome to stick on the dock?

Thanks.

I run Arch Gnome Wayland and have not had any issues, stable on my end.

• No idea if you can move that (status?) bar.

• Maybe there is an extension for that?

Dash to panel extension might be what you are looking for .

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1160/dash-to-panel/

So I have to look for extensions to customize the system.

I'd like to keep some Qt apps like Dolphin, Akregator and Kate on Gnome, but I see they are using the default cursor and icon theme while I changed them on GTK apps. How can I modify these settings for Qt apps?

Qt-settings and kvantum should make the trick for you.
Gnome is not really that customizable than plasma. Nevertheless there're many extensions.
I like gnome since it is such a clean de which stays out of the way.

1 Like

Take a look through this topic for ideas on how to make qt theming match gtk theming:

3 Likes

Wayland is great on a single monitor, multi monitor not so much. I strongly recommend not trying to force KDE applications into Gnome. It would be like trying to get Evolution running on KDE, it can work but not very well, and it will break frequently. Evolution has an RSS plugin anyway. Ther eare multiple GTK options that in my experience offer the same thing Dolphin does without the network share issues. Also think of extensions as a widget that does not come pre-loaded. I found looking at it that way got rid of alot of the undeserved bias. Yes, I used ot like KDE a lot, I still do, but I got tired of very basic items breaking, frequently.

1 Like

I don't need Qt apps to look the same as Gtk. I used Kde for years with Firefox, Chromium and PulseEffects, I get used to the mismatch.

I also installed Latte Dock which is surprisingly working under Gnome, I can't stay without it.

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by