GPG Permission Denied

Hello people,

I've ran into this strange issue with GPG: I can not receive keys nor can I use pacman-keys to refresh keys. I'm using Manjaro, kernel 4.14 fully updated.
Using:

sudo pacman-keys --refresh-keys

Output:

gpg: refreshing 119 keys from hkps://ipv4.pool.sks-keyservers.net:80
 gpg: keyserver refresh failed: Permission denied
 ==> ERROR: A specified local key could not be updated from a keyserver.

The keyserver is changed because I've tried using some of the arch wiki solutions, but none solved the issue.
When I run:

gpg2 --refresh-keys

I get:

gpg: refreshing 2 keys from hkps://hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net

Running:

dirmngr

Output:

dirmngr[18827.0]: permanently loaded certificates: 136
 dirmngr[18827.0]:     runtime cached certificates: 0
 dirmngr[18827.0]:            trusted certificates: 136 (135,0,0,1)
 # Home: /home/user/.gnupg
 # Config: [none]
 OK Dirmngr 2.2.5 at your service

Recieving keys does not work also, get the permission denied error. I still can update, and install packages with pacman just can't get somethings from the aur because I cannot recieve the keys.
I just noticed that this was a system wide problem now, but I think it has been on my machine from the moment I installed Manjaro (I've formated this machine recently).

This are some things that I've tried too:

• Updating the keyring, both archlinux and manjaro, them populating with package-keys. These steps go fine, but pacman-key --refresh keys still gives me the output above.
  • Changing key servers and their ports.
  • Pacman -Sc and trying again, no avail.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Disclaimer: I've posted this on reddit too (/r/linuxquestions), just some time ago.

Have a look at the "nuclear option" here:

Firstly, thanks for the response.

But anyways, even nuking gnupg did not work. I get the same error as before after running --refresh-keys:

gpg: refreshing 116 keys from hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
==> ERROR: A specified local key could not be updated from a keyserver.

Looking at the other commands I see no errors, just in this final step. Get the same while trying to receive individual keys:

gpg  --recv-key 0FC3042E345AD05D

Outputs:

gpg: keyserver receive filed: Permission denied

Looking closer,

this won't work as you're trying to use HKPS on port 80; IIRC it needs to connect to port 443 (like HTTPS).

However, given

this may mean you simply can't connect to the keyserver. You might try another keyserver, e.g. pgp.mit.edu.

Ok this is an advancement at least. But still could not resolve the issue. To check that I had connection, I pinged khps.pool.sks-keyservers.net and got a connection. I can't connect to pgp.mit.edu however. Ping returns nothing, lots of packages transmitted but none received.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by