Grub boot manjaro multiboot

Can somebody please explain in laymans from start to finish how run this.... Please ?

Could you please give us some details of your specific problem?

If you're wanting to multiboot another Linux you just need to make sure it's installed in the same mode as manjaro, bios/uefi. Then install the second distro but skip installing grub. After that you run sudo update-grub in Manjaro and it'll detect the new install. As long as you let Manjaro manage grub it can boot as many operating systems as you like.

If you need more than that you'll have to be a lot more specific about what it is you're trying to achieve and the steps you've already taken to do so.

Please take a look at some posting guidelines here and here.

Much same as linked post.
Mint grub has taken over as default and kernel panic error when i boot manjaro.

Use this guide to reinstall grub. In future keep in mind that Manjaro's grub can boot any os, but only Manjaro's grub can boot Manjaro.

Edit. Try @Marte's suggestion first, it might be easier and quicker.

If you installed in UEFI mode, just go into your firmware settings and move Manjaro to the top of the boot devices/options. Reboot your Machine. Once in Manjaro run sudo update-grub and you are good.

If installed in Legacy/MBR mode then you would need to reinstall Grub as mentioned by @10yearslate.

Thanks for quick replys. But my issue is in being unable to understand how to carry out instructions in the attached link.
Im in BIOS

Tried it already. Not working

When you are using different systems - create a $esp partition for each system. This will ensure that they do not mess with each other.

If you are using BIOS/MBR or BIOS/GPT it is a problem as the space at the beginning of the disk is where the loader resides and this can create issues with different versions of grub.

The best you can do is to disable Legacy or CSM in your firmware and only use EFI to start your system.

One step at a time.

Here's a simplified version I wrote, be sure to check the disclaimer at the top as you may need to modify some commands if this isn't a UEFI setup. If BIOS you can skip step 3.

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Restore_the_GRUB_Bootloader

Use the method described for BIOS.

Tried already. Not working.
Guys i need to understand the link in the first post

For clarity, both the method Marte and I posted will work. Marte's method uses chroot to reinstall grub while mine uses the live iso (mints grub will probably work too) to boot into your existing installation via grub cli and then reinstall grub, the end result is the same.

If it's not working you might be making a mistake somewhere, but we won't know unless you post the exact commands you're running along with the output.

And forget the post you linked to, it's from 2016 and the solution is the same as we're linking to...

1 Like

Post the output of the following commands:

sudo parted -l
(that is lowercase L)

efibootmgr -v

And also could you post the content of grub.cfg from your Mint installation?

Copy, paste, highlight the text and click </> to format.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by