Grub-customizer - possible caveats

i wouldn't go for grub-customizer , many have been bitten. Best to edit /etc/default/grub and hope to find a good grub-theme and grub background/

1 Like

what do you mean by: [quote="badbodh, post:2, topic:3242"]
many have been bitten
[/quote]
?

AFAIK, you need to run grub-customizer each time you install a new kernel.
It is also a bit complicated when you want to restore Grub by chroot.

Strategecally it is not clever to play with Grub with a tool like grub-custimizer if you don't know how to set it up manually. It is a system which easily breaks, then you cannot boot into X to start grub-customiser, then you need to resore it and run grub-customizer again with changed setting which hopefully don't break Grub again.

But it is still a nice tool which can give much joy when it works.

@eugen-b so do i need to go to /etc/default/grub and edit it in there?

Yes, there and for more technical costomizations like custom Grub menu entries: in /etc/grub.d/40_custom

1 Like

@eugen-b weeeeell isn't that what grub-customizer does?

Last time I used half a year ago it made a backup of /etc/grub.d and created around 10 files in /etc/grub.d which structure I wasn't able to understand. It provided however a README how to revert the changes, which wasn't easy to do.
Again, I'm not discouraging anybody to play with grub configs! Everybody have fun! :yum: :smile_cat:
The worst case would be that you would chroot, repair Grub, uninstall grub-customizer and then bring /etc/grub.d/ in initial state.

Um, the ONLY time I have had to run grub-customizer as a requirement was after an update to grub itself, and that was a while back. After every kernel update? NEVER.
In fact the ONLY cause for me to run it is when something else screws up my grub menu and causes like 2 or 3 of everything there.

Grub is kinda critical stuff, why use a toy like grub-customizer to play with it ?
Best to read one of these https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-documentation.html and edit the files directly. That way you can easily revert the changes.

2 Likes

In Manjaro, kernel updates do make kernels drop out of the grub-customized menu. Keeping a stale kernel installed assures being able to boot after kernel updates. Having more than one linux installed on the machine can also simpify recovery from grub menu snafus. In the debian based installs, new/updated kernels do show up in the customized menu. But you still need to rerun grub-customizer to keep that menu organized.

Grub-customizer has a lot of quirks. It is probably less bother to just learn how to edit the grub default files than it is to learn what not to do in grub-customizer.

Grub customizer can cause a lot of issues because it's editing the /boot/grub/grub.cfg directly, which is not recommended. Just edit /etc/default/grub and do sudo update-grub. It's safer :slight_smile:

But nice grub menu there. :wink:

1 Like

You are right, I remember now that I needed to run it so often because of my btrfs setup.
However, now that you tell it, when Grub crashed I also remember to have had multiple entries after repairing it by chroot. That was was a bit of a frightening experience which made me ditch it.

But to be honest, it is not as bad and dangerous as some here including me are writing.

Are you sure it is doing that? I think it is editing only /etc/grub.d/

I think it is true only for customized menu entries, but grub-customizer also by default shows automatically generated menu entries. And these you don't need to adjust, AFAIK.

1 Like

Yeah, maybe, idk. :blush:

Now that I think about it, I don't use the plain auto-generated menu entries. Grub-customizer also makes detailed entries for the sub-menu (when more than 1 kernel is installed.) I can never remember which kernels I have, so I use those. When there is an update, those auto-generated entries change, and they get dropped. Thanks for clarifying that :grin:

I've used Grub Customizer for years!

The only problems I've ever had with it has been, well, when it doesn't work anymore. :frowning:

Best to avoid unless you feel comfortable fixing GRUB by hand. If Manjaro does not support it, you're on your own. :wink:

Regards

Forum kindly sponsored by