Grub doesn't appear after HP BIOS update

Hi everyone,

Recently, I've been updating my BIOS (on windows, with the HP assistant) so I did the update, but since now, when I start my computer, there no grub or dual-boot screen that show up. I have NO white error message on black screen. The only thing that happened is my computer booting on windows 10, like there's no dual boot at all, but that's not the case. I still have all my Linux Manjaro partitions with all my data on it. So what can I do in order to restore the grub menu ? I haven't the USB boot device that I used when I installed Linux, so I'm dowloading a new iso file of manjaro XFCE (the one I used).

Thank you in advance for your help. If you need more details/information, just tell me

Enter the BIOS of your computer, there should be a way to define boot order. From there, put Manjaro GRUB higher than Windows Boot Manager.
If it is not present, try to search for something to add boot options and use it.
Is it EFI? Is it a laptop? Which BIOS do you have on it?

But I already did that, my boot options are (as before) boot from hard drive, then it's disket/CD (I think), then it's the OS boot manager, and then it's network boot, so I think that's correct. I already check the BIOS, like 4-5 times sinces I notice the problem, and I'm pretty sure that the parameters are the same as before.

Yes this is a laptop, a OMEN hp 17".
My BIOS version is (as describe in the result of "systeminfo" command) : Insyde F.49, 19/07/2018

EDIT: BIOS mod is UEFI

Don't you have a Microsoft Boot Manager option or a Manjaro GRUB option?
Tell us if you can add something like that

You can try this:
Fix UEFI bootloader when Dual Booting with Windows, using Windows

If not then we can use a live-boot to chroot in.

Actually - there is this whole table-of-contents page with a bunch of links that should help:
[TOC] Boot-GRUB problems

3 Likes

I know this solution, hoping it will help you

I think we should probably use Manjaro-specific solutions which are already on the Manjaro forum... :wink:

1 Like

Okay, got it :slight_smile:
I thought that it was enough manjaro-specific, and that the fact that isn't another site was not a problem. At least my link use manjaro's commands and not Windows ones :blush:

1 Like

This is my BIOS: 20180910_210558

I'd already suggested something :slight_smile:

1 Like

But I CAN'T run Linux based command such as "sudo ..." I can ONLY boot on windows, nothing else :frowning:

You can use a live environment + mhwd-chroot, then the link i posted or @cscs' solution

1 Like

Please read the links already posted by cscs. The answers are already in front of you. :wink:

Ok I think I'm close to solve the problem. I just made a manjaro bootable USB and then I press ESCAPE before the windows logo show up, I choose "boot manager" and then I boot from ou USB key, then I choose the "detect EFI bootloaders" from the manjaro installer menu, and it shows me what is in the picture below. And since then, when I choose the highlighted solution, then it works, and I can login into my real manjaro (with all my data and stuff). The problem is, I have to do that each time I want To boot on linux, so, can I specify somehow my computer to boot from the correct bootloader ?20180910_230311

Why won't you read the linked threads which tell you how to fix the problem?

According to what I've seen, I have to run the bcdedit command and specify the correct bootloader

Please read the thread linked to by cscs. It has three steps (four if you include rebooting).

@chell, just use this.

You can also boot to Manjaro using your method (detect efi bootloader at grub prompt of livecd).
Then when booted. just do one command.

sudo grub-install

ps: it's painful to see so many asking OP to boot using windows boot.
perhaps 5th column windows advocates? in high places at manjaro? sigh.
Trump had it easy.

3 Likes

I did that like 3 times, and still got the problem

If something changed at windows, do 2 commands.

sudo grub-install
sudo update-grub

Do both if unsure. No harm doing what may be unnecessary.

Forum kindly sponsored by