Grub Rescue and BIOS problem

Hey everyone,

I installed manjaro xfce editions a few while back and decided to switch over to kde. SO, I went into windows and deleted the space manjaro xfce took up and restarted the computer to install kde. It has booted me into grub rescue. I know this isn't a problem for many people since they can use a windows bootable usb to fix mbr issues. BUT the problem with my laptop is that my bios "settings " are inaccessible becasue it is corruptes( idk why ), and my bios menu is f*cked and only shows "Manjaro" as a option. It used to show the normal hardrives and usb and cd plugins before grub rescue. I have tried usb to dvd drives and nothing works. This means that I can't use live cd or windows media repair tool. AND taking the cmos battery out only resets time.
I have tried the usual "set boot=(hDX,XX) and insmod commands to no avail.

ANY HELP?

You already know - bad choice.

I think you confuse grub for the firmware.

Usually it requires a select key to be pressed at boot time to load the firmware settings e.g. Esc, Del, F1, F2.

On some systems you can do a boot override by using e.g. F7, F10, F12.

On some Lenovo consumer systems you find a little pinhole on either side of the laptop which powers on the system and loads the firmware.

1 Like

I know what firmware and everything is, I want to boot from a usb, but cannot since their is a grub rescue thing open.

Since you are able to access the cmos battery can you unplug the laptop harddrive and then "boot" to BIOS?

1 Like

Grub rescue comes after post. You need to access your bios or boot menu (not grub) to change the boot priority to boot from the usb. If your bios really is corrupt and inaccessible(which I question but I'll take you on your word), then you're basically boned, you've removed the operating system that was managing your boot with no failsafe in place. Return to manufacture.

Edit-
I suppose if you formatted the efi partition it MIGHT force it to boot from the usb as it shouldn't be able to find anything else to boot from, but then you'd lose the windows bootloader too and have to fix that afterwards. I also managed to find some steps for booting a debian USB from grub rescue that you MIGHT be able to adapt to manjaro. I don't know how limited the rescue shell is compared to the grub cli proper but if it can boot an operating system from a hdd/ssd then in theory it should be able to boot a USB too. Maybe reading these will give you some ideas.

https://wiki.debian.org/BootUsbWithGrubRescue

As said, grub rescue comes after post.
And as inferred, if disk is removed, can you get to bios setup?

What error messages when attempted at grub rescue?
Normal mode not found?
Uefi grub does not have normal.mod

What is your system? Uefi? Msdos? 2 disks (making searching boot in wrong disk(?

While not a good way to change your OS, it should not have affected your BIOS, as that is stored on a ROM chip separate from your HDD. What make is your laptop? I would suggest shutting it completely down, waiting a couple of minutes, and then the second you turn it back on, spam the hot key for your bios (usually F11, F12, or ESC) and see if it will still come up. Or like others are saying, you can force a BIOS or USB boot by unplugging the HDD.

If your bios is truly corrupted, you’ll have to flash a new one, which is an extremely complicated process which will likely involve another computer. I’m still puzzled as to how borking GRUB would destroy your BIOS though. I can understand if your boot order menu has been altered, but that shouldn’t have changed the ability to boot from a USB or DVD. Odd. I’m going to research on this and see if how it could happen.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by