GTK3-Classic/Mushrooms is gone?

Hi, I opened this thread to ask to expert people what we could expect about gtk3-classic/mushrooms.

Here https://github.com/krumelmonster/gtk3-mushrooms/commit/ca1d283769e6d9d59b79d12d5dd22875941f3672 the maintainer of the repo announced that the project has been abandoned on 21 May 2020;
here https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gtk3-classic instead has been flagged as out-of-date on 13 May 2020. Previously was on the official repo, not on AUR.

In pamac, the main GTK3 is to 3.24.21-1, and gtk3-classic is at 3.24.14-1.

I know that I could switch back to the main GTK3 and install gtk3-nocsd to avoid the CSD, but it doesn’t work very well: I experienced ugly windows: After [Stable Update] 2019-12-10 the GUI password prompts are becomed wide, and I also seen windows with a black borders around.

So, this is the reason that I prefer to rely on gtk3-classic/mushrooms which works much better, but as indicated has been abandoned. However seems that someone else has forked gtk3-mushrooms to a more updated version: https://github.com/9ary/gtk3-mushrooms (This branch is 2 commits ahead, 1 commit behind krumelmonster:master.)

There could be the possibility that someone could take care of this project? Unfortunately I not have the skills, otherwise I could take care of such project.

There is an old discussion of the previous maintainers:

Have you tested recently to see if this is still the case.
We have been using gtk3-nocsd on ARM for a little bit now (for other reasons) and have not seen any "weird" borders.

Yes: I tried it again recently with the same results: the black borders seems due the GTK theme which I use (but is ok on gtk3-classic), and the wide prompts were still there.

So it's more a theme issue, than an issue with the nocsd package. :slight_smile:

Check the following file - if it exist - rename it and check the result.

~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css

But as @Strit suggests - it is probably a theme issue.

Surely: is a theme issue (black borders around the windows) which in my case only occurs when using the main gtk3; when using gtk3-classic instead, this issue doesn't occurs: so gtk3-nocsd is not the culprit (there are no differences if nocsd is installed or not; sorry if I have not been precise/complete to describe the issue).

And however, also if I change the theme, the issue about "wide prompts" remains, but only when using main gtk3: no issues when using gtk3-classic.

Yep: I have such config file, which I created months ago: I made it to set the size of icons on the panel of XFCE: the content is:

#launcher-2* /* Launcher Conky */
{
    -gtk-icon-transform: scale(0.54);
    padding: 0 0px;
}

#launcher-1* /* Launcher Skippy Switcher */
{
    -gtk-icon-transform: scale(0.74);
    padding: 0 0px;
}

.tasklist* { /* icone applicazioni */ 
    -gtk-icon-transform: scale(0.88);
}

#showdesktop-7* /* show desktop icon  */
{
    -gtk-icon-transform: scale(0.90);
}

#whiskermenu-4* /* Whisker Menu icon */
{
    -gtk-icon-transform: scale(0.90);
}

Also if i delete this file, all the issues are still present.

More info:

I've noticed that gtk3-nocsd package https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gtk3-nocsd-git have a "last update" date of about one year ago: 7 August 2019; so is the same version which I tried months ago (December 2019) and recently, unfortunately with no luck.

mushrooms/classic does more than just the csd. i also use it for the changes to file choosers and scrollbars, for instance.

1 Like

Hi. If a package has -git at the end it pulls the latest version from git repo. "Last update" date of a package just shows when PKGBUILD was updated, not when the last commit was done ( Jul 26, 2020 in this case).

2 Likes

It appears that @jonathon The maintainer of gtk3 classic is now exiled so I think we probably need a new maintainer.

not related to the current situation. it's in the AUR and has been for a while. he's still the maintainer of the AUR package: he made it.

what's needed is a maintainer for the upstream code:

1 Like

Good news: has been updated:
2020-08-09_15-43

But when I'm going to apply the update, I receive the following warnings:
2020-08-09_15-40

So, Audacity and light-locker have to been removed to apply the update. Maybe Audacity and light-locker needs to be updated to the new libgdk and libgtk?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by