Had file sharing going but then it died

I had file sharing working between my windows computer, and my manjaro computer. I simply found the windows computer on the network, from within manjaro. From there, I went in and found the shared folder, where I had put everything that I wanted to transfer. I then made a shortcut to this folder, on my Manjaro KDE desktop.

Everything worked great. I could move files from the windows machine to manjaro, with no problems. Only now it seems to have decided to stop working. It just throws an error message that says: ... Well it says that it ain't there. Only it is there. You have to highlight all the individual folders and right click then copy/paste them into the folder on the desktop that you want to put them in.

So I tried to see what was going on, by putting in SMB into the search under the menu. Then I clicked SMB, and was able to find my windows machine again. So I figured maybe I'd just make a new copy of the shared folder, on my linux desktop. In case something somehow went wrong with the old link.

Now it wants a password to let me into that shared folder. Wasn't there before, now it has appeared. I know I have all that turned off, on the windows machine. I ran into that same trouble, transferring files to from one windows machine to another. My main computer, to my HTPC.

This doesn't really look good. It looks like KDE, or perhaps Manjaro is quite clunky when it comes to file sharing across your own network. It was working great, then it started having multiple problems that I was only able to come up with a barely workable solution to. I have to wonder how long that solution will last. Opening the original file/link I made on my KDE desktop, and highlighting/copying/pasting the contents I want to transfer between the computers. That way works for now, but given what has happened so far it wouldn't surprise me to see that it has stopped working tomorrow.

This functionality is an absolute must if I'm ever to convert over to Linux instead of Windows. Is there a more rock solid way of moving files around? Something that will always work? Also, am I only experiencing this as a result of trying to move files from windows, to linux? That seems doubtful, but I thought I'd ask.

I think you are comparing Windows to Linux - and it is not the same.

That said - networking is the core of Linux - so it works.

You just have to learn that Linux is not Windows and you need to do things differently. Compares to be used to drive a car vs. never rode a bike.

3 Likes

Depends on what you mean. SMB is the only peer-to-peer network both Linux and Windows speak, but there's also FTP, TFTP, and HTTP. You can share via cloud services, too. Also just moving the disk over, like with a SATA dock or just installing it. You can use USB thumb drives, too. Depends on what you need, really. Lots of options.

Nope. Microsoft bungled it when it comes to Samba, and it never got a lot better. But, it generally works, no matter the platform (I've used it on Linux, BSD and MacOS) with the one caveat that sometimes it gets strange because of those early choices. Forgive the SMB stack, it's doing it's best.

Remember: This community is about (and really loves) solving problems. Specific questions plus some info about your machine can often get you solutions right away.

Hope this helps some.

2 Likes

Yeah that's the standard line, but I don't think it really holds up in the real world. Clunkiness is seldom (if ever) well received.

Depends on the world you're living in.

2 Likes

Well the machine is made out of old used parts I bought off of ebay. I just threw something together to learn linux on. It's as follows:

Manjaro KDE

Mobo: Intel DH67CF, an ITX board with no built in wifi only ethernet

RAM: 8Gb kingston 1600 ddr3

SSD Samsung 850

Video card: AMD RX 560

I made another attempt using Konquerer but I have not been successful yet. As far as my needs and end goals go, I am looking to use Manjaro (hopefully) as my daily driver OS, and to install some distro or another on 2 other machines. An HTPC and a computer in my garage that all need to be able to share files over the network. I'm sure there's a command, I would like to learn it. But I'd also like to know of a solid way of doing it via the GUI if possible.

That's true, some of the stuff I've seen people put up with out of an OS is amazing. Primarily macOS, I... strongly dislike it.

:slight_smile: A mixed environment is always a challenge - I have been sysadmin on mixed networks with mixed feelings.

As I understand your OP you are trying to do the same thing as you are used to on Windows.

Neither Manjaro nor Linux is clunky when it comes to network - it is build for networking.

Creating a shortcut to a network folder and expect the content to be available when you open the folder.

This is usually not the way it works on Linux. On Linux you have to mount the folder before it is accessible. Some tools exist to somehow mimic this - but it is not default and can be troublesome.

If you are on KDE you can try with the smb4k package - it may be what you are looking for - I have not had much success with it on a windows domain.

Moving files around is no problem on Linux - the issue you experience is your lack of knowledge on how Linux accesses shared network resources - not because it is inferior.

2 Likes

It all depends what you are trying to accomplish:

1. You want to send files from one to the other every now and then?

Install NitroShare on Windows and Manjaro

2. You want the Windows machine to be the server of the Linux machine?

You're on the right track: Samba! Just automount the share using systemd

3. You want something else?

Just ask: Linux can do anything Windows can!
    (It just does it a bit differently)

:innocent: :+1:

4 Likes

Thank you for the reply. I'll certainly try nitroshare soon.

But when it comes to Linux doing everything windows can... I dunno, I'd say let's not get too enthusiastic about that. There still seems to be plenty of driver issues that windows just doesn't have, along with natively running a lot of important programs. Gaming has gotten better but it's still something of an issue, and I find that I agree with many people about that certain lack of "polish", that windows and mac just don't suffer from. Then there's the support of a billion internet posts for the other two, and a billion other users to draw on if necessary.

So I definitely wouldn't say it's their equal. Even if it is superior in many ways, that doesn't address the downfalls. I'm actually only switching because I'm sick of the privacy invasions and general related security risks. That and I find that I agree with Richard Stalman on the principles of FOSS. Ideally I'd like to run a machine that has zero proprietary code anywhere on the machine. I haven't learned enough yet to make that happen, although the way it looks from following the goings-on, that day is likely coming.

Don't get me wrong I like it, but let's not over inflate things. I may not know the OS well yet but I did do a ton of research before I decided that I'd attempt to make the switch. I focused on all the limitations to see if I'd be able to tolerate it. It seems that for my line of work, yes indeed I can tolerate the aforementioned limitations.

I don't need any of those high end programs, all I need is a web browser and an office program. I have to keep the windows machine for the foreseeable future though, since I do like to play those latest greatest games every once in awhile. For example I'm currently waiting on Cyberpunk 2077. It would be wonderful if they'd release a version that runs in linux natively, but I don't think they have any plans to do so.

Meh. I remember Windows 2.x and 3.x: Linux is about Windows 95 for drivers and Windows XP for modules (the drivers built-into the kernel ) :innocent:

None for me: but then I have a decent editor, video player, Office, calculator, torrent loader, all the games I want (strategy, not action), ...

But try to get some support for Windows that you cannot find on SuperUser, Microsoft KB, ... The community here is awesome!

:+1: :clap:

Please remember the first time you installed Windows! That's where you are right now: You're a Windows power user, but the first 3 weeks will be frustrating, the next 3 months will be a steep learning curve, the next 3 years a smooth learning curve and then you'll be a power user again! (At least: that's how long it took me, but you might be smarter than me! :innocent: )

have a look at wine: It's a Windows API converter (not an emulator: it converts Windows API calls into Linux API calls)

And:
:+1: Welcome to Manjaro! :+1:

Thank you for the reply!

I've been messing around with Wine and... I've decided I'm going to stick with native applications. The first thing is the FOSS principle I want to stick to. The second thing, is that being a person who needs to use their OS for work, I just don't have the time to keep messing around with getting Wine to work right. When I have time off, I want to spend it doing what I want to do. And while I think of myself as something of an OS enthusiast, I don't want to wrestle with that particular program. I'd really rather just deal with learning the new OS instead. So I just doubt I'll ever adopt Wine. I'm really just not a fan of the whole concept. I know it's not quite the same, but it's almost like "Why don't you just use windows"? - That's what keeps running through my head the more that I use wine.

I've also noticed that oddly, some of the graphics settings in some games I was testing, just aren't there when running them in wine. Switch over to the Windows rig, and yep they're there. Never thought I'd run into that. Maybe it has something to do with the graphics card, but usually they'll let you at least try to turn it on. Or it will be greyed out... something. But it'll be there.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by