Hallo, new novice noob, newbie and part time fool here

I would recommend s.th. simple if you want to learn GNU Linux.
If you run KDE you can learn its settings and its apps which is quite a lot to learn, btw.
Xfce is more basic, but still most of its settings are done by its GUI.
I would really recommend JWM if you want to get your hands a bit dirty. It is very simple, but very well documented.

Thx for the replies, I did experience some sudden freezes I am not sure what that is atributed to, it also happened on Windows and I think was disk related.

I did manage to fix my last problem by using GParted on Knoppix, had already max 4 primary partitions had to delete one.

1 Like

If you need more than 4 partitions on an MBR disk, make the 4th partition an extended partition, then you can place as many extra partitions as you need into the extended partition.

Not sure what you are asking, but Manjaro is not Slackware.

It installs cleanly and completely and you are delivered a fully functional desktop environment of your choice. There is Very little remaining setup issues, and most machines work out of the box.

120 gig is plenty for a starter installation. You should be watching the price of disk drives this time of year, as you can get 300-to-500 gig drives for stupid cheap.

That way you could simply pop in a new drive and start fresh without worrying about messing up the windows partitions.

I have a machine very similar to yours that handles KDE/Plasma just fine.

@anon11646911 Wish I knew that before.. now I know. thx.

@jsamyth no I mean lets say getting bike and all you have to do is install the wheels vs a bike and having to learn how to install the chain, handle, seat, bolts and so forth,,

Basically I am trying to learn everything as early as possible, I am also trying to avoid using the GUI click to install and want to learn how to do it using terminal for now just to get trully acquainted with Linux without any shortcuts if that makes sense.

An admiral quest....
You probably want Slackware, or Arch. Not so much Manjaro.

But maybe you should at least run a complete Desktop Environment for a while to see where you are trying to get to. Without some idea of where you are going its hard to find your way through the forest.

1 Like

Just incase I want to switch to XFCE and to a total reinstall of Manjaro using the replace partition option during install will it have any problems like Manjaro KDE still being listed in boot menu or anything else.

I will try do some tweaks from my guide to see if it helps get the ram usage down, its up to 3gig running KDE and chromium alone when I only use like 2.5gig ram on windows 10 with anti virus, Listary, flux, vlc and a ton of more background apps and services.

KDE and XFCE can live side by side on the same system, and you can select which one you want to run at each log in, by selecting it on the login screen.

The listing of long gone installations remaining on the Boot menu only occurs on UEFI machines, and has nothing to do with KDE.

And STOP micromanaging the ram usage. Really, you can not teach Linux anything about ram management. It handles this FAR better than you will ever be able to do. Unused Ram is wasted ram. Just don't worry about it. Linux is not Windows.

1 Like

Love it! :smiley:

Here's a good read, among many: http://www.linuxhowtos.org/System/Linux%20Memory%20Management.htm

1 Like

Do you have to have set up one user for KDE and another user for Xfce?
Or you can switch between KDE/Xfce at log in with the same user?

Same user. Only your environment will be different.

1 Like

No. Only a single user needed.

I don't advise running both at once, (such as by logging in twice as same user. Because other files are shared, such as your browser cache and your x11 profile, etc which may not work well).

On the login screen there will appear an option to select which desktop environment you want to start. You will see a choice there after you install another DE.

Note. Try this out by installing something tiny, like fvwm from the manjaro repositories.
Its very small, bare bones Desktop Environment, Its good to have a backup DE in case you hork over your main Desktop Environment somehow.

3 Likes

Cool idea, I will follow your advice, thanks for sharing and thanks for the answer

Thx for the answers, and especially about the RAM, read the link and it did give me allot of insight.

Another quick question how important is swap.. I did a little digging myself and its apparently used like a second RAM but much slower and several articles mention how using swap drastocally slows down the PC, another poster even mentions that even tho he has enough RAM the system still uses swap, did I unintentionally do the right thing by not making a swap partion or am I going to pay for it later down the line ?

Nervous about deleting any more partitions, I believe one hold the Windows 10 recovery stuff, the other windows itself and the last one Dell diagnostics stuff, I could be wrong.

Depends, as long as you can be reasonably sure to not run out of space in RAM, you will only be missing the option of "Suspend to Disk", i.e. the standby mode, where you are saving the content of your RAM to the disk in order to turn everything off, without doing a normal shutdown.

Running out of space in RAM is bad, since Linux will stop allowing applications to allocate more space or even be forced to kill processes. At worst, your computer crashes. Having a swap partition prevents this, since your system will "only" slow down massively, and allowing you therefore to take measures to reduce memory usage without anything nasty happening.

Myself, I don't use a swap partition, since I went completely crazy when buying my laptop and ordered 16 GB of RAM, more than double the amount I probably will ever use. (Ok, not quite right: I used it for helping GIMPS and compressing zip files).

1 Like

I always use a swap, be it a partition or a file. I run a laptop and like to sometimes suspend, sometimes hibernate. So it is important to me.

I truly believe some degree of swap is necessary--unless you set up a RAM DRIVE (cache)--for some of the heavier processing. Since I don't know exactly what that processing is, I just go with what is reasonable. Anything you've read about having a swap slowing down your machine is utter baloney. You may be confusing that with a swappiness setting, which does to a degree determine how and when you use swap to help more efficiently use say, a machine with only 1 gig of RAM.

Use what the installer suggests, which is usually a partition of a size equal to the the amount of RAM installed on your machine.

And quit over-thinking the problem. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

2 Likes

As long as you didn't use btrfs, you can make a swap file of 4-8GB of space on your Manjaro partition.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/swap#Swap_file_creation

If you want hibernation to work, you need to follow these steps too:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Power_management/Suspend_and_hibernate#Hibernation_into_swap_file

1 Like

I just wanted to add that Firefox uses significantly less memory than Chromium.

1 Like

Got too many extensions of Chromium that I rely on.
also deleted the whole partition which also removed my bootloader so I fixed boot on windows first then made extended partition with ext4 and swap reinstalled Manjaro with XFCE and it works great.

Just cant seem to get LightWorks to work.

Calling this FUD is a little over the top but its true that KDE is much faster these days than it used to be. Around 500Mb of memory at startup sounds about right to me.

KDE is great and has always been one of my favourites: but I also have a great affection for XFCE and for those newer to Linux it could be a better starting point.

Forum kindly sponsored by