Headphone port - Red LED on all the time - MacBookPro11,5

I installed Manjaro KDE 20.03 on my MBP11,5 as single OS (moved MacOS on an external USB disk).

Problem: Inside of the headphone port is a LED that is on at all times.

signal-2020-07-07-133553

I installed also on MBP12,5 Manjaro KDE 20.03, but there is no problem.

I hope someone can help.

Below relevant system information. In case you need more info let me know.

inxi -M
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: Apple product: MacBookPro11,5 v: 1.0 serial: <root required> 
           Mobo: Apple model: Mac-06F11F11946D27C5 v: MacBookPro11,5 serial: <root required> UEFI: Apple v: 198.0.0.0.0 
           date: 04/16/2020
inxi -S
System:    Host: C0mput3r Kernel: 5.7.0-3-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.18.5 Distro: Manjaro Linux 
inxi -A
Audio:     Device-1: Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Device-2: AMD Oland/Hainan/Cape Verde/Pitcairn HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 7000 Series] driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Device-3: Broadcom and subsidiaries 720p FaceTime HD Camera driver: bdc-pci 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.7.0-3-MANJARO 
lsmod | grep snd
snd_seq_dummy          16384  0
snd_hrtimer            16384  1
snd_seq                86016  7 snd_seq_dummy
snd_seq_device         16384  1 snd_seq
snd_hda_codec_cirrus    24576  1
snd_hda_codec_generic    98304  1 snd_hda_codec_cirrus
ledtrig_audio          16384  1 snd_hda_codec_generic
snd_hda_codec_hdmi     73728  1
snd_hda_intel          53248  4
snd_intel_dspcfg       28672  1 snd_hda_intel
snd_hda_codec         167936  4 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec_cirrus
snd_hda_core          106496  5 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_codec_cirrus
snd_hwdep              16384  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm               147456  4 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_core
snd_timer              45056  3 snd_seq,snd_hrtimer,snd_pcm
snd                   114688  19 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hwdep,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_timer,snd_pcm
soundcore              16384  1 snd

UDATE:

• I just installed / configured apple_set_os from AUR (https://github.com/0xbb/apple_set_os.efi but a) it does nothing, and b) while I was testing I noticed that the headphone jack LED switches on when I log in. Before log in the LED is off.

I'm guessing you never thought about searching internet for a solution to this problem.

Duckduckgo gives a million results from folks who lost sound from speakers, and have a red light from a headphone port (this shows that there's a problem after you pulled out the jack - it's stuck).

Try installing a Jack Cleaner

yay -S jackcleaner

Hi ben2talk,

I don't think it's a mechanical problem, because when I boot MacOS it's okay.
And yes, I have sound through the speakers, although quite metallic. I had to install "PulseAudio Equalizer".

Oh, well I can't imagine another issue. The speaker sound is metallic only from Manjaro?

@ben2talk: Yep

Sorry, I'm blind - I see solutions like this - explaining that the Headphone jack is also a TOSLINK port - meaning you can put an optical cable in there too.

Plug your headphones back in.

Play a bit of sound through them (e.g., a song), then stop the sound.

Make sure Preferences is quit.

Launch Preferences and open the Sound pane.

While the Sound pane is open and set to Headphones, pull out the headphone plug from the jack.

It will reset itself to "Internal Speakers" and you are good to go.

Good luck...

Open up your Audio preferences and poke about in there - make sure you're set to Analog only.

@ben2talk: Makes no difference. I can see in the Preference->Audio window that the system switches from internal speakers to headphone but the LED stays on. Anyway thanks for your help.

1 Like

Do you have disabled sip?

@pheiduck: Got me cold. What's sip?

System Integrity Protection

But never mind needs only disabled if you do some thinks inside macOS

@pheiduck: Ah right. Nope isn't set.

@pheiduck: Nope. As I wrote in my update the LED is off until I log in. So I suspect that KDE does something...

if there is any software control for this in Linux, it would probably be found in

alsamixer --card=0

if there is a control element 'SPDIF' or 'Optical' turned on [OO]
use M to turn it off [MM]

and save ALSA settings to keep it turned off

sudo alsactl store

@nikgnomic: I turned off all SPDIF elements and saved it. But the LED is still on.

@nikgnomic: I just started YouTube and the LED is off. I'll reboot the system and report back whether it's still off.

@nikgnomic: It seems the problem is solved. As I wrote I switched off all SPDIFs on both audio devices. Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks to all other participants for the help.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by