I'm using an AMD RX 480. Everytime I try to play a game or even just scroll a webpage - the display is laggy stuttering with terrible tearing. I've tried switching from x-server to wayland but that did not help much, AMDGPU or AMDGPU-PRO - still same issiues. To anyone who uses AMD cards how do You overcome this ?
Here are some questions to start off:
Which DE are you using?
Which kernels have you tried?
Do you have sufficient power for your system?
Is your system sufficiently cooled?
Does it work within a live environment?
Does it work with another distro's live environment, e.g. Ubuntu 18.04?
You should also read this post:
- 4.14 - 4.16
- Yes - with GPU passtrough everything works fine but in a VM
- Yes - It never goes beyond 70*C
- It would be tricky (at least for me) to test games in live but web browsers seemed to work ok
- I tried on arch from ground up when the leatest kernel was 4.10 - never tried on ubuntu (even if it would be the case - I want to stay on arch based distro).
- Thank You, I'll keep that in mind
Or maybe I'm missing the bigger picture - the system behaves like as if I had an mechanical hard drive. The effects are very simillar to compare - the whole system pauses for 1-2 sec and then shutters like it's reading something from an old and slow hard drive. When I paly a game for 30-40 min and revisit the same places - the is no stutter - only tearing.
Maybe the issiue lies elseware ?
Also - is there an option for adaptive/dynamic Vsync ? turning on regular Vsync creates an input lag.
This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.