Hi! Bit of an introduction about myself and my previous OS experiences.

My name is Brandon Bachman. (You can obviously gather that from my profile.) I have been a user of Linux systems for the past decade and some, having began my journey to Arch with Ubuntu in 2009, and a friend of mine on the long dead AIM chat platform showed me Ubuntu 9.04. It was a bit of a crapshoot as my radios weren't working, which Ubuntu 9.06 fixed.

As a long-term user of Ubuntu and Debian systems, I had over time grown familiar with Ubuntu as my desktop. At least, until GNOME development team decided to ditch GNOME 2 in 2012, which made me frustrated as a Ubuntu user. So frustrated in fact, I went back to Microsoft Windows for a bit, because I really couldn't deal with going from GNOME 2 to GNOME Shell. (Terrible naming schema GNOME team, shame on them.)

After trying out other desktops, it was finally MATE, when the Linux Mint team released their MATE build of Linux Mint I had used for a good, long while. During my time with Linux Mint. I carried over some old habits from Ubuntu, like use of Avant Window Navigator ("AWN") and at the Linux Mint forums under pseudonym MintRainbow I had written a small guide about converting the AWN Mint Menu applet to using MATE's libraries when MATE was just a clone of GNOME 2.

As Unity had killed some projects outright with its mere existence, eventually I had to let AWN go because it was becoming more difficult to maintain and continue using due to future library compatibility issues. I hopped off of Linux Mint when I was also experiencing some issues with software I've tried to use in Linux Mint when I found no such problems existed with Ubuntu MATE, which was something I took interest in to hop off of Mint and back to what became an official arm of Ubuntu.

Through my years, I've been trying my best to keep old, dying branches of software going with older revisions of libraries. I've written many guides about that on the Ubuntu MATE forums under pseudonym tiox, as a matter of fact. Since my coding skills are not... stellar to say the least, that's all I could really do, as it seems like everything I want to use is succumbing to a similar fate to my beloved AWN.

Then I thought about something — Why am I spending my time doing all of this bullocks with software packages? It seems like it's always been in vain since the next update around, software I've grown accustom to using requires another old lib here, another odd lib there, and in spite of updates to Ubuntu being far and few between, I'm still feeling that update fatigue.

A fair bit abridged as I was dabbling in Fedora for a bit, but I never took that serious, and aside from learning about RPM / YUM / COPR, my experience with the Linux userland as a whole wasn't that much improved, and wasn't that noteworthy. (About as much of a mess as Debian is!)

While I do love Ubuntu and all as bab(b)y's first Linux, I decided enough was enough. It just wasn't working for me anymore, and there were just too many papercuts to endure with how I want to use Ubuntu. I've heard of Manjaro as a derivative of Arch, figured I would give it a try. While the people at Discord Linux don't quite like it, I couldn't care less.

So far, Manjaro's been pretty nice. Seeing there was a community spin with MATE made it even better, as I am an old man who'll probably never change. that's probably what I am sticking with. Install went as smoothly as it would in Ubuntu, and after some tooling about with it on my old laptop, figured I would replace Ubuntu MATE with it and see how long things don't suck with it. My time using Manjaro with the AUR thus far almost feels magical in comparison to the Debian horsecrap I've been flagellating myself with for the past decade.

Hopefully that magic sticks around me for a bit. I'll be adapting some guides from the Ubuntu MATE forums for you lot, since I've been able to replicate much of my MATE desktop workflow via Manjaro and I do some things that I think other people might agree are sensible changes to a wonderful Arch Linux experience.

Many hearts and good wishes.

Edit: A hallmark of my posts is how often I make mistakes after-the-fact I have to iron out so I don't look like some dumb kid who doesn't know how to keyboard. While the latter may be true, I have some standards when it comes to writing I feel obliged to uphold for the reader's sake.

Moderation Note: Moved to #general-discussion:user-stories

10 Likes

Welcome to Manjaro Community. Every community has their own working styles and culture. Hope you will enjoy being part of community and community would gain something from your MATE experience.

1 Like

Whenever I get Member, friend. Whenever I get Member. Knowing this place isn't too different from defaults that might be a couple weeks yet.

Arent you a member now ? :rose:

1 Like

??? :thinking:

I'm not highly knowledgeable about Fedora, but your comment above is like saying .deb packages, apt, and PPA are 3 different software management methods used by Ubuntu, which is inaccurate.

RPM = packaging format that Fedora uses
YUM (or now, dnf) = the package manager, CLI commands for package management
COPR = akin to Ubuntu's PPA (3rd party repos)

In any case, welcome to the forum.

1 Like

something useful
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Rosetta

1 Like

That's a bit harsh don't you think?

1 Like

Nah, not when you've been dealing with apt as long as I've had. Debian has its place don't get me wrong but for desktop, I've been struggling to keep my system, well, mine for the past nine years, Still can't get some things to work in Manjaro I had in Ubuntu, but that'll either come with time or resignation, probably a bit of both since software isn't always forever sadly.

I'm pretty new to linux but I was under the impression that debian is rocksolid and the distro of choice when it comes to stability.

1 Like

rather true.
But one of the biggest things about Arch vs. Deb (etc) is the package manager.
And we really like pacman (/ALPM).
Give me the choice and any day I will choose pacman over apt.

(and hey comrade .. I must ask - chomsky for the sake of linguistics? or positioning on foreign policy or? .. )

3 Likes

If you want rock solid, RedHat/CentOS is the way to go. Of course, they have super long release cycles which make Debian's packages look fresh and new.

That said, stability is a pretty broad concept that encompasses many facets so I guess it depends what you mean by stable.

2 Likes

And Slackware has always been very stable in my experience. And even more stale on packages.

2 Likes

Dont care much about linguistics but I certainly respect the man for what he achieved within that field. I think that answers your question friend.

2 Likes

I've been using linux for about 6 months now . Started with Mint and jumped to KDE Neon after a week, borked that system in a couple of weeks but I don't mind cause I really like Manjaro. Don't have any experience with RHEL/CentOS but I do have Raspbian installed on my Pi 4.

My point is pretty much everything I "know" is hearsay, the thing I love and appreciate about Linux is the freedom. All the distros, yes even HannaMontanna Linux, are far better then Windows or MacOS when it comes to how I use the software.

Guess I'm still in the honeymoon fase. I really should be going to sleep now, it's 2:30 AM where I live.

Peace I'm out!!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by