Hide Grub

I would like to hide my grub, unless I press a key (Shift/ESC/Arrow up or down), because I dual boot.
I've followed some instructions from arch wiki for the hold shift method and also tried to have a hidden timeout, which should be interrupted by ESC. But non of them worked.

I've stumbled across some posts, witch state that manjaro has its own special grub configuration?
If possible I don't want to switch to grub-quiet or so.

So what is the best way to hide grub on manjaro and being able to interrupt if needed?

Thanks in advance!

If I recall correct the grub menu will not be hidden in case of dual boot.

The defaults used by Manjaro as found in /etc/default/grub

GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="Manjaro"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet udev.log_priority=3"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

You are right, although /etc/default/grub sets GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden there is a line in /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober, which is setting GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu.
(There is also some code to set GRUB_TIMEOUT to 10 if it was set to 0 in /etc/default/grub.)

By setting GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden in /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober one is able to hide GRUB menu, unless esc is pressed. The amount of time GRUB waits for input is set by GRUB_TIMEOUT.

Of course, one can use this method at own risk to hide GRUB on a dual boot setup.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by